Troubleshooting. Can anyone read the symptoms before I'm forced to send it in?

emma_k

I've always been a darling to this camera. It's never had a bad word said to

it, let alone been dropped or spilled on or... anything. This is very

mysterious. Broken at no provocation.

It's a Nikon Coolpix L3.

This is what's wrong:

Half the time I turn it on, it claims the battery is exhausted. I loaded it up

with a variety of fresh ones to get past this. Nada. The rest of the time, it

behaves normally as far as turning it on and taking pictures goes.

The memory card is loaded with pictures and videos I've recently taken, but when

I play the videos on the camera, they make loud clicking noises. Not really

clicking, but clacking. Clunking. Clunking! Like someone rocking a wooden

chair's legs really fast. It sounds like it's in the videos, not the camera.

When I plug it in to offload these clunkish things on my computer, it doesn't

show up on the desktop or in iPhoto as usual. It doesn't do anything. It turns

on and gets the black screen like usual, but no show.

Is it possessed? What do I do? There aren't any camera places where I live

(nowhere, really) and I'm hoping for something like... y'know, the messiah

appearing and giving it the healing touch.

Ideas?

Just for troubleshooting's sake, you might put the card in a card reader and see if it's readable. I can't think of a way a bad card could pull the whole camera down, but I suppose it's possible.

As I wrote in a thread last month, you can score a card reader for about $10 at a Radio Shack or similar store. They've gotten ridiculously cheap.

Does "fresh batteries" mean 1) freshly charged old AA NiMH batteries or 2) freshly charged, brand new NiMH batteries or 3) new AA alkaline batteries?

"Old" batteries also include batteries that you've never used but have sat on the shelf for a long time. Sitting on a shelf long enough will kill NiMH cells.

I had a digital camera that was recording black frames. All it needed was a new battery.

In response to the card: It can pictures without a card in at all. I took it out, snapped some, went to offload, all the same problems. Not the card's fault.

Lifespan: I've had it for just over a year. It couldn't crap out THAT fast, could it? I don't use it much.

Batteries: All of the above. That's why I said a variety, heh.

This is looking hopeless. Time to send it away?

There's probably a menu choice on the camera that lets you choose between PTP and Mass Storage. Check to see if this got changed accidentally.

Did you say it takes photos normally? The only issue is the klunking sound when you play movies? Maybe there's a bad microphone?

We still recommend that you get that card reader to download the photos into the computer if the above fix doesn't work.

If all else fails, it won't hurt to send it to Nikon. If you've only had it a year, maybe the warranty expired only recently? Nikon is known for being flexible about warranty repairs. You will need to send a copy of your original purchase receipt though.

Worse case is you turn down the estimate and they send it back to you. All you'll be out is the cost of one-way postage. You pay the cost of sending it. They pay the cost of returning it.

Checked. Blargh. I'll get the photos off and see about having it looked at.

Thank you for the thoughts, everyone! The camera will thank you as well when it's no longer twisting its head right around and projectile vomiting.