new photographer movie

I just saw a preview for a new horror movie called the midnight meat train, about a leica toting street

photographer in new york who starts unwittingly photographing murder victims, and his leica sounds

suspiciously similar to a canon 1v with the motor drive blaring... i wonder if it is just the preview creators

who don't know better or if we are going to be treated to another movie where the director has never

handled a camera before? anybody have any other favorite movie camera inconsistencies?

I'll settle for any episode of CSI:Wherever. Apparently every camera ever made has infinite resolution, but only a buxom or dashing technician using software running on a ridiculous-sounding operating system with a 10-foot transparent plexiglass display is capable of teasing out those true, accurate images. *sigh*

The thing that gets to me is the omnipresence in movies of disastrous darkroom technique. I

recall that "Blow-up" has decently consisent DR work (excepting the ease with which David

Hemmings creates a 4x5 copy negative), "Elephant" has a good DR scene, which is,

accurately, fairly tedious.

RE: "Midnight Meat Train", reminds of the X-files episode "Tithonus", wherein Scully

investigates a photographer able to forsee (and, subsequently, photograph) the deaths of his

subjects. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751245/

The Wire on HBO occasionally shows a camera used for surveillance, presumably a modern

DSLR with exotic long lens. It's really a 35 year old Nikon F2S Photomic with what looks like

an old Spiratone, or similar, 400mm f8 lens. I even saw an actor crank the film wind lever

after taking a photo with the fake motor drive sound.

I just thought of another one. Now, I haven't seen the movie, but in the Broadway production

of "Rent" the character Mark explains that he cannot film Benny's apologies to the other

characters because "I had no juice in my battery." Unfortunately, the prop used was an

admmittedly beautiful, but manually wound Bolex H-16. Plus, he had no sound recording

equipment anyway.

I have to agree with the author of the American Photo article the "Apocalypse Now" may not

qualify as a movie ABOUT a photographer. "Salvador" seems a notable omission; I'd be willing

to drop "Pecker" to make space.

In John Sayle's "Passion Fish" , the main character uses a Leica M that apparently had had a Nikon mirror installed.

I always thought Hollywood was so attentive to details, that they hired people to see after these things. In 70s TV, a lot of mean bikers were apparently riding hogs powered by 100cc two-stroke engines!

But what kind of person works for an arts organisation? People that never did an oil change or used a camera that requires mechanical aptitude.

Yeah, good call, David.

At its core, "Closer" explores the ways in which people mediate the realities of their

interpersonal relationships (again, see "Blow Up"). As such, that play and subsequent film

couldn't really exist without a photographer-character could it?

My favorite (?) faux pas is the forties period movies with press photogs using Speed Graphics at full bellows extension. Also WWII movies showing photogs with Pacemakers.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I thought Robt. Bedford in "Under Fire" was fairly convincing.

I just watched Death Proof last night and Kurt Russell uses what looks like a manual nikon

camera with a long lens, and the shutter sound was convincing, but when they showed the

view he was seeing is was completely letterbox format just like the movie. Oh well, i guess

bits of the movie are in black and white, and there are intentional scratches and smudges

across the film to make it look like an old 1970's low quality grind house movie.

I thought James Woods pulled off in Salvador just as good a performance as NIck Nolte did in

Under Fire. someday i will have to watch those back to back, so i can compare just how

similar the stories are. different war, but i remember them having very close story lines.

In "Ronin" DeNiro does some stealthy camera work with a Leica R, then they have some BW 8X10s hanging in the safe house.. don't recall seeing an enlarger or other equipment.. Maybe they had Walgreens do them.