Low Light Concert Photography Lenses

jevon

I am looking to purchase a fast wide angle zoom for more interesting concert shots.

Can anybody suggest which lens(s) to purchase out of the

Tokina 12-24 F/4,

Canon 17-35 2.8 L,

Sigma 17-50,

Canon 16-35 2.8 L,

24-70, or the

Canon 24-70 2.8 L?

I need a fast AF, & fast F-stop due to Flashes are NOT allowed in most concerts I photograph. Ignore the

price aspect of the lenses.

Any other non wide angel lens suggestions would also be appreciated.

I currently own a 50mm 1.4 & 100mm 2.0 for photographing concerts.

Thanks.

Your money would be better spent on a second body and a 35 or 24 prime IMO: see my answer in the link mentioned above.

If you really want opinion on the `zooms` question, the body(ies) you are using is / are relevant to the question.

Obviously, an F2.8 (only) zoom is part of the answer, and it is implicit in your question.

WW

The answer is none of the lenses you listed. You need f/2 or faster prime lenses. At wider angles that brings fast Sigma primes into consideration: 20, 24 and 28 all at f/1.8, and 30mm f/1.4. If budget is no concern, then the Canon 24 and 35 f/1.4 L and 50 f/1.2 L should be on your list, and otherwise at least the 35mm f/2. Add a second body to make switching easy.

It's a beast to lug around because it's so heavy - and obviously it's not a wide-angle - but the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS gets two thumbs-up from me.

Here are a few shots from a Victor Wooten concert - he's usually with Bella Fleck & The Flecktones but this was his band:

http://www.photo.net/photo/5304974

http://www.photo.net/photo/5304975

http://www.photo.net/photo/5304970

http://www.photo.net/photo/5304967

I think I shot those with a 20D at f/2.8 and while it does pretty well at ISO 1600, newer DSLRs like the 1D3 would probably put it to shame at ISO 1600 and above, giving you even faster shutter speeds without excessive noise.

The thing about using a wide-angle lens (at least for me) is that using one would mean you're fairly confident you can get pretty darn close to the stage - which may very well be the case. If not though, a longer, reasonably fast zoom could prove quite useful. Good luck!

Hi, M Barbu!

It's a complicated answer! ;-) The venue at which I took the Wooten pics has a vague policy on photography. Basically they say if the artist says it's ok, non-flash photography is permitted. Conversely, if the artist says no, you can't.

When I couldn't find Mr. Wooten's policy listed on the web site prior to the show, I called the venue and asked. The person I spoke to said "Well he doesn't say you *can't* take pictures, so I guess it's OK"

So I showed up with this rather ridiculously large lens and *then* I was told - by some guy at the door - that I couldn't take pictures. I was disappointed to say the least and explained that I'd called and was told it was OK. I also explained that if I took my (rather expensive) camera back to my car, I'd miss the first part of the show.

Long story short, the guy said to go on in, with my camera, but "you're not supposed to take pictures". (Again though, nowhere was that mentioned anywhere else)

After the show started I looked around and practically everyone either had a small, digicam out, taking pictures or their cell-phone cameras, happily snapping away. I wasn't using the photos for commercial gain so I decided to just go for it, concluding I was being discriminated against because of my long lens! ;-) (only partly kidding!) Nobody tried to stop any of the other people taking pictures - and some of them were using flash, which is definitely a no-no.

Nobody stopped me and it really would've been hypocritical of someone to say I couldn't take pictures with my "big" camera (and no flash) when there were literally hundreds of people taking pics with their "little" ones - most of whom had much better seats and were very close to the stage and as I said, some of them were using flash.

If either Mr. Wooten or the venue management had clearly stated "no photography" then I wouldn't have brought my camera at all. So this particular case was, well... unique! And I'd *like* to think that, since I never made a dime off the photos, no one would mind. At least I hope that's the case!

The photos Beau posts don't look like they were taken under low light conditions. Also, it's fairly unusual to be allowed to take a long lens in without a pass. I always shoot with access, so I'm always up front, but I have rarely been to a larger show as an attendee where anything other than a digicam can get in.

I'd suggest the 50/1.4. Skip the 1.2 - probably not worth the extra cash. Then go with

either a fast wide (28/1.8, 35/2, 35/1.4) depending on budget and taste OR the 85/1.8,

100/2, 135/2 depending on budget and taste. The choice on which of those two categories

to go with first should depend on what kind of concerts you shoot. Then, at some point, go

get the other lens.

I shoot most of my shows with the 50. About 15% of the shots are with the 28. Looking to

get a 100 or 135 shortly for some close ups.