Shooting the Ceremony - Newcomer Question on Shooting processional -

quiana_wright

I will be shooting my first wedding in August, and I have a question about

shooting during the ceremony. I have observed a few local photographers while

they shoot weddings, and a trend I've noticed is that they always have the

members of the bridal party stop momentarily so that they can get a shot of them

during the processional. My question is, do I really have to make them stop at a

particular point or could I just shoot them candidly so that they won't look

awkward or add more pressure by putting a halt to their march?

It is up to you. If you do ask them to stop, though, be aware that the practice can be frowned upon by church coordinators and officiators, although it can be done discreetly enough that it isn't a disruption to the processional, such as at the extreme back of the church, before most guests have seen the subjects. Unfortunately, if you shoot completely candidly, you can occasionally get awkward shots, such as the subject looking nervous, biting their lip, tripping, or looking down. Which situation is more awkward??? It is a matter of opinion. If you do stop them, try not to speak. When I have needed to, I just put my hand out in a "stop" motion. Most people, if they see you at all, get the clue. Some churches will tell you outright not to stop the processional.

I prefer to have them stop at predetermined spot, that way I can ensure they are looking at the camera and the focus is precise.

In doing wedding for over 40 years I've only once had a priest tell me he did not want them to stop during the processional. Well guess what? Everyone stopped on their own even though I motioned for them to keep going.

As long as the church people don't have a specific method, do it the way that works best for you.

Jim Marby

I'm with you on that one Tony, I never stop them, I do step out into the aisle of course to get the best shot and some people do stop because of that. I've also done a few hotel weddings (not in church) where the hotel co-ordinator has already told them to stop for a photo on their way down the 'aisle', but normally I try not to break up the flow.

I agree with both Tony & Tony; we never ask them to stop - it truly is up to your style of shooting, though. We lean heavily towards TRUE wedding photojournalism (with only a handful of posed or photorealistic shots).

Not asking anyone to stop is what we prefer - this works for us and is what our clients want.

(Since this is your first wedding and you may not have locked into a particular shooting style, you may want to ask your clients what they prefer - having the candid expressions on the faces of the wedding party, or having the posed shots.)

Quiana,

When I did wedding photography, I always pre focused on the 4th or 5th pew from the front and took my photo.

I always tried to attend the rehearsal so I could determine which pew or other object I should pre-focus on. Also, I asked whoever was in charge, to please turn on all the lights that would be on during the wedding so I could take light readings. Of course if the wedding was during the day, I would compensate for the difference in lighting.

Richard B.

Since this is your first wedding I cannot stress the value of attending the rehearsal enough.

It will allow you to become comfortable with the process and, with permission, shoot some practice shots to determine and refine your technique. At that time you can ask the officiant of the ceremony where you can be during the procession ( some insist on you at the back, while others allow you up front), and their views of

stopping processionals or not. You can also evaluate how far the walk will be, and stress to the participants to NOT RUSH down the aisle right on top of one another ... because your flash needs time to recycle. Do that again just before the ceremony starts.

Tips:

If candidly shooting a moving subject, use AF set to Single not Continuous tracking AF. My technique is to track the on-coming subject with a half presses of the shutter button as they come closer, and then fire in one smooth press all the way when they reach a predetermined framing ... (but keep your eye on the subject for timing).

The reason I manually track as they approach is that the AF will have less to do, therefore will do it instantly when you press the shutter all the way.

If the church is dim, Set the camera on Manual exposure with a shutter speed you can hand-hold like 50mm for a 50mm lens ... and the lens aperture to f/4 or 5.6 to cover any slight AF miss. The TTL flash will do the rest. Test your settings as guest are being seated to refine them.

Because you are usually stuck in one position, this is an excellent place to use a zoom lens. In some ceremonies, the moms may go up and light the Unity candles, or other traditions may be played out ... a zoom lets you get in there to get those shots.

There are really a couple of choices to make: IMO, if the venue is interesting and a lot of guest are attending I shoot to include them. If the venue is somewhat ugly or it's a really small wedding, I often shoot tighter to capture the expressions. If Kids are in the procession, kneel down onto their level.<div>00Ock7-42030884.thumb.jpg.180902d8842628b15a7fb2b41f43b46a.jpg</div>

Pick a spot such as third row pew from the front, about nine feet and make that your

target point. When the bridesmaid is a few steps from that point raise your camera to your

eye to frame the subject, and fire. Your flash will stop most action unless they are outright

running up the aisle.

This technique keeps each bridesmaid at the same perspective and distance so when

someone is looking at the finished album, all are the same size.

The biggest mistake in doing processionals is allowing the heads to slip to the center of

the frame, caused by centering the head on the focusing point on the ground glass. The

two examples shown have great head placement, they are high in the frame.

And don't worry, if this is your first wedding, you will almost certainly screw something

up. Get over it and move on.

Best,

Wow, I have been reading the forums here for a while, and everyone is so knowledgeable and willing to extend their advice to newbie Photographers that when it was time to ask my question, I knew, without a doubt, that I would walk away all the more wiser. Thank you to everyone for your words of wisdom, and thank you, Bill for your examples, and especially your advice at the end.