Noise

yasie

Shoot RAW to avoid the in-camera JPEG processor, invest in noise reduction software, such as Neat Image or Noise Ninja, and do it yourself, or simply try a noise reduction program on your in-camera JPEG's and see if you like them any better. Most programs offered have free download and trial periods.

As Greg said, shoot RAW ... you can also try exposing "to the right" so that the histogram peak is to the right of centre, taking care, of course, not to blow off the highlights. You might also switch in-camera noise reduction off and use a software like Noise Ninja, Noiseware or Neatimage to filter the noise.

I'd be interested in some samples as well. I don't consider my E500 any noisier than other cameras I've encountered at ISO 400 or lower. In fact, I've been rather pleased with its performance at the lower iso settings.

That being said, I do shoot raw and process with Lightroom. I don't know if there are presets in LR that are working to my advantage or not.

My 2 cents. Unless you soon plan to change the camera, don't get upset. Programs like Noise Ninja takes time to learn for the optimal seting between wash out to nice looking grain. You can also look at the pictures at the actual presentation size instead of the 100% pixel size all the time.