Old lenses for k10/k200?

MattB.Net

Hello. I have an old Pentax ME Super from the late 70's (I think) that I haven't

used much since getting into digital a few years ago. I have a couple of lenses:

I forget exactly which ones - a telephoto and and probably the lens that came

with it. I was happy but the film images I used to get with them but I'm not

really sure of the relative quality of the glass compared to anything else.

Anyway, I'm currently doing most of my shooting with a Canon S3 IS which I like,

especially for the image quality to bulk or weight ratio because I like to shoot

while out cycling, hiking, or skiing. But I also keep thinking about getting a

DSLR system for all the options, buffer, raw capability and especially low light

performance. Since I have those lenses already and Pentax says the new bodies

are compatible with all their lenses, I think it would make sense to get a

Pentax and leverage what I already have. The weatherproofing also makes sense

for me.

So enough background, what I'd like to know is if anyone here is using a really

old lens, like you'd use on a ME Super on a new body like a k10 or k200? And how

well does that work? They are manual focus lenses and that makes me wonder if

the body might try and send it AF signals and get confused about it. Would this

be a viable way to get into a new DSLR or is using this combo (old lenses, new

body) just asking for trouble and/or frustration?

Thanks!

Matt

They all work, and work just fine.

Manual Focusing is trickier on the smaller viewfinder and matte screen of the dSLR. The camera will aid you by beeping/lighting up the AF point when it thinks you have it in focus.

If you're using glass with A positions, exposure can be done just like any other lens on the camera.

If you're using older M glass (without the A position on the aperture), then exposure can be done in Av, but only wide open and in M mode by pushing a button to stop down and the camera will pick a shutter speed.

Virtually every lens ever made for Pentax mount is entirely usable. Some just come with tricks.

There's a lot written about this in the archives here on the Pentax Forum, but short version is that they work wonderfully well, sometimes though you have to push an extra button or live with a slight limitation (depending on which lens and body), but you can make beautiful images with the old glass. Backward compatibility is one of Pentax's strengths as a system.

I use an SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 (more or less the "kit" lens on an ME, K1000, etc.) on my *ist DL and it works flawlessly. Like Mike said, manual focus is a little more difficult, but the focus assist works fairly well on this particular lens.

I also use a Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5 M42 mount with an adapter and it works fairly well, although I do find it a bit more difficult to use due to the lack of the K-mount's aperture mechanism.

moral of the story: if pentax made it (ever), you can use it just fine.

If you use the M mode and the button, it effectively works like aperture priority. Matt, if shooting film with your ME Super, does its small size work for you when cycling, hiking, etc.? What lenses and what size are they?

The reason I ask is the K10D is a heavier bulkier camera.

No DSLR is quite as small as your ME Super, but some nearly so. The K200D is reasonably close in size, the K100D/Super is yet closer. There are a few of the K100's still left here and there, at least recently. With a small prime lens, like one of the Limited series, or if your older MF lens is small, it could work well for you.

Thanks everyone. This is all great info.

Michael, the ME Super was small enough for a lot of situations, but not all. I was thinking more the k200D, but if the 100 is closer maybe I'll give that a second look. It should only be getting cheaper now, until it reaches antique status but I think I have a little time until that happens ;). For when I really need to travel light (say, like riding a century) I'll compromise just take the S3 or even the compact A540.

Size and weight have made me think about the four thirds system but I don't want to buy into something that might not really take hold. That would also cost me more and I'm trying to keep this as inexpensive as I can.

I don't have the old lenses handy - I'll dig them out tonight and refresh my memory (and let you know).

The K200D should be a very fine camera indeed. Many sophisticated and advanced design features. Unusually well built. It will be in stock any day now. The price will likely drift down in say 6 months or so.

It is replacing the K100D and Super version, which have all but disappeared. I have that model myself. The Super version has contacts allowing full advantage of the new SDM lens technology, and anti dust sensor self clean. The K100 is 6 mp, but has very fine image quality. Outstanding JPEG and higher ISO with lower noise capacity. VG at ISO 1600 and can select up to 3200. Well made, advanced features, such as MLU, DOF preview, true spot meter, advanced flash system, built in shake reduction, at a low price.

Hard to find now, but Tri State Camera still has some listed in stock. The Super at $475 and regular at $394. tristatecamera.com, click on digital, then digital cameras, then dgital SLR, then select the brand. If any model says "contact us" it is no longer in stock. You may be interested in the kit zoom too. For the small but superb Limited series lenses, check B&H Photo for complete stock.

The crazy mp race has caused dicontinuance of K100. Higher mp is harder to design with higher ISO good performance.

The 4/3 designs are a couple oz lighter in some models, but still a bit wider than smaller Pentax models! You can view dimensions of Pentax models at Bojidar Dimitrov website.