D40 and D70

shara

I'm sorry if this questions is redundant. I'm a bit of a lens moron and I

couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

I just got a d40 but I only have the kit lens that comes with it. It works well

but as you know, the lenses I can get are somewhat limited. At least if they

have AF. So, I'm open to buying older lenses that have a larger aperture. I'm

hoping to get something like a 50 mm f/1.4 so I can do some portraits for

friends, etc. I understand that i will have to focus manually and that's fine.

However, I also have a d70 that I bought used off ebay. I've had a lot of

problems with it. I've sent it away once already to be repaired. It came back.

Worked for a bit. And now it won't even power on. So, I was a bit jaded and got

the d40. I still want to send the d70 away again to see if it will work as it

will do stuff the d40 can't.

And ... the question is:

Are there any lenses that are compatible with both? If I buy the AI lenses for

the d40 will they work on the d70? Is their a better option? I'm looking at a

decent lens for portraits that will allow me a good DOF as well as a longer lens

for more action shots. Particularly moving horses.

Should I stick with the zoom lenses? What would you recommend?

Sorry if this is garbled. Please ask questions if I'm not clear. I have a hard

time wrapping my mind around all the lens categories (af-s af-i ai ... ) so it

might not come out right.

Thanks!

Shara

You ask a lot, Shara. <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-

lens.htm">Here</a> is a compatibility chart to perhaps narrow down your question about

lenses. Lots of variables beyond just maximum aperture to ponder. Hopefully, the D70

failed within the post repair warranty period. If not, I would invest in a more current body.

Zoom lenses are probably the best for you based on the content and tone of your post. I

would recommend a used 80-200mm F2.8 AF S which is compatible with the bodies you

have now and the inevitable upgrade you are destined for. Tell us more.

Action shots: you will get more good shots not only with autofocus, but with the best autofocus you can afford: AFS. Your D40 will autofocus with AFS. So will the D70, of course. Or, for less money, try the reputedly excellent Sigma 50-150 HSM. May be long enough (at 225mm equivalent) for horses, not so expensive, and has an internal focusing motor so will work on your D40. This might actually double well as a portrait lens as well. I think it's about 500 bucks for the newer II version.

Portraits: try the famous 105mm f2.5. It really does make wonderful portraits. It is manual focus, so you are giving up nothing there by using your D40. Of course, it is great on any other Nikon camera as well, film or digital.

Just ideas.

If you can get the D70 repaired, you will want to use the CLS remote lighting with an SB-600 or SB-800 speedlight, so that would push you toward a modern AF chipped lens for auto metering. Your 18-55mm will probably be used the most. I sometimes use the cheap 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5, as well as 30mm HSM, 50mm AF and 85mm AF prime lenses. <br><br>If you are comfortable with manual mode, then the 50mm f/1.4 Ai will be great for available light on both cameras, and you can even use non-Ai lenses for the D40 only. Of course, you will have to manually set the aperture, shutter and ISO, but the D40 is a lot of fun in that you can use virtually any old lens out there.<br><br>Is the horse action outdoors in bright lighting? If so, I would consider the 55-200mm VR and maybe the 70-300mm VR a good value. If it's indoors, get the heavy 80-200mm AF-S, 70-200mm AF-S VR or maybe the Sigma 50-150mm HSM. Sigma lenses are often not as sharp as Nikon lenses, though.<br><br>I'm sorry to hear about your *bay troubles. If it wasn't for the Commander Mode on the D70, I would just use the D40.

Thanks for all the feedback! I am relatively comfortable using mf. I started out with my dad's old minolta system when I was studying journalism. Our photography teacher required that we use only mf lenses as well as cameras that had a manual mode. I'm not much good at it with sports although I do get some nice clear shots. I'd prefer an af lens with the horse photography but for portraits and whatnot I'm fine with mf.

At my last job I used a canon system so I'm not at all familiar with the nikon lenses. I just like nikon a lot so when i got my own system i went with them.

Do you think the Nikon AF 50mm 50 f/1.4 would be a good option? I'm thinking I might get that as soon as I can and then a longer lens in a few months. One of the ones you mentioned Paul.

The horse photography would be mostly outdoors although sometimes I'd have to shoot in an arena I'm sure. Would the sb-400 be an ok flash to start with? I'm thinking for just a bounce flash for around the house. I mostly want to shoot outdoors with available light as much as possible. :)

Shara....May I suggest you consider the AF 50mm f/1.8 as well? The 1.8 has legendary sharpness, and for most portrait work you may find f/1.4 does not give enough depth of field anyway. The 50mm f/1.8 AF-D is probably the best $100 you can spend on Nikon stuff.