8x10 lens recommendations

j. f.

I've just bought an 8/10 camera with lots of movements. What lenses would you

recommend from experience for the following applications: macro, table top

photography, portrait/fashion, and interiors, landscape? I'd like a bright

ground glass, and a large image circle. The camera is heavy and so will not

usually be used for hiking. Thanks, Gavin.

Hi Gavin: Since no one else answered--

For portrait I prefer a 300mm but some people would rather have a 360. Theoretically you should use a slightly longer than normal lens for portraits, but in my experience a 300 is the one. The best 300 is the current Rodenstock S series. They make the best 360 too. For interiors and landscape the Schneider 150 XL. For tabletop you can use the normal (300) or macro, depending on the magnification. The macros are said to be better at 1/3 life size or bigger. Current Schneider and Rodenstock macro lenses are not made longer than 180mm. The 180's cover 8x10. If the budget is lower, substitute a Rodenstock N or a Caltar for the S, or search for used lenses. Contact dagor77@earthlink.net for the older used lenses. Ebay is the largest source for inexpensive used lenses, but there are sometimes frustrations if you buy from an individual seller you do not know.

Gavin, I think that your question is probably too broad to draw answers -- you ask about just about every application except architecture, and apparently all focal lengths. That is a lot for someone to try to answer. I suggest browsing some of the previous posts under "8x10: cameras and lenses" and possibly some of the other Lens categories (perhaps use the find feature of your browser to find 8x10 in these categories). Schneider and Rodenstock (under the name Linos) have PDF brochures about their current line of lenses. If later you have a more specific question, it will more likely get multiple answers.

I had the 210mm Rodenstock Macro Sironar, a fantastic lens. I used for 4x5". It will not

cover 8x 10 at infinity, but remember it is a macro, and it will be fine working close.

For portraits there are a lot of lenses that will give fine pictures. I believe most of the

lenses longer than 240 from Rodenstock, Schneider, Cooke,Fuji or Nikon will make you

happy. Tele-lenses will not work, they are to narrow. Maybe exept for realy long ones.

If you buy a highspeed 360 it will be heavy and have a large shutter with fastest time

1/125 sec. Slower lenses might be mounted in smaller shutters that gives you 1/400 sec

shutterspeed,but at f 9 you probably needs longer shutterspeeds or flash anyway.

• 4 weeks later...