Got Xti and looking for a good zoom for $400-600...

dan_hall4

My friend got an Xti recently that came with the 18-55. She got the 50 f/1.8

also. She wants a zoom lens and is asking for suggestions. The purpose is for a

general, all around, lens that will give her some zooming capabilities. She

wants to spend about $400-600. Canon only. Any thoughts or suggestions would be

greatly appreciated.

She already has "a general, all around, lens that will give her some zooming capabilities."

Sounds like she just wants to blow $400-$600. If that's the case, I can send you my address. Otherwise, tell her to use her camera for a few months, figure out what she really wants, and then you probably won't have a need to ask vague requests for suggestions on photography forums.

Or for a lot less, the latest Sigma APO 70-300/4-5.6. Then she can also get the wonderful Canon 85/1.8 to do super portraits with. If she really likes the reach of an XXX-300 zoom and uses it frequently, she can go for something better later on. The Sigma lens mentioned above is best in class for performance and value but understand that the standards of that class are in the kit lens category.

P.S. An observation that might explain Amol's and Aaron's posts:

Among photographers, a "zoom" is any lens that offers continually variable focal lengths.

But among the general public (at least in my experience) "zoom" is shorthand for "telephoto zoom" (people want to really "zoom in" on something far away) and most people don't think of wide- and normal zooms (like the 18-55) when they use the term "zoom lens."

Photographers used to talking only to each other - as in these forums - are often confused by the latter usage, and this thread reflects that misunderstanding.

For $600, I like the 70-200/4 and the 200/2.8 too, but I still recommend the 70-300 in this case. I think a newbie will benefit more from IS and the added 200-300 reach than from the marginally better IQ of those two shorter non-IS lenses.

Here's a review of the 70-300, tested on an XTi, I believe:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/200-canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-56-usm-is-test-report--review

If she can wait a while until this Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens is available in the US for $300 is a good deal for an amateur. Otherwise she would probably do well with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens. Both are smaller and lighter than the 70-200mm being recommended and they have IS. Best case she uses the 18-55mm until the 55-250mm becomes available. Good luck!

Aaron: Behave! ;-)

Dan: She can't really go wrong with the canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS. It's about $575 has great reach and very excellent image quality.

But after that, no more lenses! Her next splurge should be on a good tripod and cable release or a canon 430EX flash. These items can open up more photograhic possibilities for her. Tax refund comin in? ;-)

C'mon guys, every new photographer needs wide, and tele. They shouldn't have to pick one if they can afford not too. It's not 1975 anymore when all we had was our 50mm primes.

BTW, to Aaron's point, I still go out once in a while with just a 50mm prime lens (that means not a zoom) and shoot this way to keep things simple and keep my creative eye fresh. I just don't do that on assingments.

I have been enjoying this forum for a while and I feel like to respond for the 1st time.

Dan,

I would not take "Aaron Beddes's comments" too lightly. They are valid advise, in my opinion.

"...Take your character flaws elsewhere..." just too harsh for someone trying to give you honest and solid advise.

Thanks.

John

IS is really, really useful on telephoto lenses (zooms or primes), especially on 1.6X crop cameras where the difficulty holding for a steady shot are magnified 1.6X too. So I'd point someone with that budget toward the 70-300 IS, instead of any of the non IS lenses suggested.

If she just wanted a telephoto, and not necessarily a zoom, a 100/2.8 USM Macro would be a superb choice, especially if she ever wants to shoot macro, and is short enough that it's still relatively easily hand held.

Look under some of the repartee above and you'll find there is some valid advice. It's not always a good idea to run out and buy a bunch of lenses too quickly. Sometimes it's better to shoot a lot with what you've got, get to know what it can and can't do for you very well before trying to decide what you need to add.

My friend, who is wheelchair bound, asked about a TELE ZOOM lens because she has not been able to photograph birds, tree's and other nature shots here at the senior citizen home. She works with the elderly as a volunteer activity coordinator since loosing both of her legs saving a small child from a burning car back in 2005. Ok, I lie sometimes, she just wants a damn tele zoom lens. She did not ask me to see if a bunch of strangers online would advise her to get a new lens. She is going to buy one and asked for suggestions as to what lens to buy. Big difference in IF and WHAT. Anyone that read my original post would have got that. She has the money and interest, what more should she require? Permission? Get a grip.

For those of you that actually answered the question, I appreciate your time and thoughts. Sounds like the 70-300 would be a good choice in her price range. I found the 55-250 interesting as well but I had not yet heard of that lens. Does anyone have an idea when that lens will be available in the US. Any comparisons that could be made against the 70-300 would be most valued. As usual, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Most of them anyway. Ha ha.