help me simulate this border

I'm trying to find a technique for simulating this holga-esque border (the

black, not the white). At first glance this appears to be a normal feathered

black border, but look closer, there is an imperfect type quality to it, unlike

what would be produced by simply inverting and feathering a selection...any ideas?

Have you tried making a feathered marquee to this shape...then using the 'burn' tool to make it imperfect by hand all the way around? That's all they've done...no great science.

Or you could just copy the layer mask it with black then brush out the shape...this would be imperfect to, and almost the say as using the burn tool!

Hi Paul,

difficult to say how exactly that border was done, but you can have a ball with grunge

brushes, distressing the surface or edges of your picture.

Make your own (the best way), or download some free grunge brushes from the following

tutorial:

http://www.webdesign.org/web/photoshop/drawing-techniques/ancient-grunge-scroll.10698.html

"difficult to say how exactly that border was done"

I showed you EXACTLY how it was done! You are looking at the viewing screen of a 1950's Kodak Duoflex. Can't you kids today accept the fact that there was a world here before you were born?

Not EVERYTHING is done with PhotoShop.

Hold onto your knickers Andre!

I have an old grimy magnifying glass in my drawer, the edges of which would give a close

approximation to Paul's posted print, if placed on top of a print and photographed

through.

As to being a kid of today - I wish! My favorite model at the moment is my first

grandchild. I got my first camera as a child - a Kodak Brownie 127, remember them or

were you too young?

So stop ranting at people not afraid to explore, or pass on the discoveries they've made -

whether kids or pro photographer grandfathers like myself ; )

Following up on the magnifying glass scenario - you could try photographing a transparency

on a light table through an old loupe. If you look closely at the top and bottom edge of the

picture you posted, you'll see a gradual curve on the border that suggests the convex shape

of a magnifying glass. The dust pattern suggests the same.