Gitzo tripod for Canon 300mm f2.8 IS

jeff nadler

With walking around/hiking in mind, what might be an ideal Gitzo CF choice for

supoorting the Canon 300mm f2.8 and teleconverters? I alos use a Kirk BH-1

ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick. I desire to go a bit lighter than my currently

owned Gitzo 1325 CF, which I used with my no longer owned 500mm F4.

Would the 1257/1258 (old numbers) be adequate?

You're only shaving off about 3 pds. difference with the smaller lens, so you'll still need a good tripod. I am using the Gitzo 2530 (3 leg section) with the 500 IS, which is 1.4 pds. lighter than the 1325 and I've been happy with it, although my blind has a stable wood floor and I hang a small weight from the center. I'm looking for a dedicated 500/Wimberley head tripod so if you sell the 1325 let me know :o).

I use the 1325 also, but I haven't used the 2530, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

Personally I think the 2530 might be a little light for field conditions when shooting with the 300mm f/2.8. Check out the Gitzo GT3530LSV as a replacement for your 1325. It's the same size/proportion as the 1325 but is a half pound lighter and has a higher load capacity rating. My buddy has one and it's a very nice tripod, just 4 lbs for the legs once you ditch the video bowl and use the included flat plate. If you don't need the height of your 1325, then the regular GT3530 with a flat plate would be even lighter still (it's a little shorter than the LSV version).

You might also consider a different ballhead to support your wimberly sidekick. Something like the the Markins M20 would save you almost another full pound and would be fine for the 300mm. I have one and use it with a 4x5 camera, and it performs admirably.