To filter or not to filter a DA lens?

andrew_ng7

Been to a couple of camera shops this past week and was asking about filters.

Asked specifically about using UV or sky filters on a DSLR. One guy didn't offer

any help just asked "Nikon or Hoya?". Then handed me a Hoya UV filter. The sales

person at the other shop helped a bit more saying that the in house generic and

lower cost filters (Tiffen) were no good since they didn't have any coatings. He

also directed me to Hoya's Pro1 Digital clear filter. Is this what I want to use

to protect my new DA18-250?

http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/pro1d-02.html

He's right -- you do want to use a coated filter, preferably one with a fancy multicoating like the Pro1 filters. If you use those, you won't significantly impact image quality.

You're going to get some replies telling you never to use a filter because why put anything at all in front of your lens. Depends one what you're doing, though -- I'm often taking pictures of kids at the playground where there's a non-zero chance of getting a handful of rocks in the camera. I'll take all the extra protection I can get.

I use a B+W MRC circular polarizer on my DA* 50-135, otherwise just the lens hood. I don't have a hood for my 50mm, so I keep a B+W MRC on it all the time unless I'm setting up for a specific subject that doesn't involve knocking around the camera or wind-blown debris, then it comes off.

Most every time I take a close look at one of my filters there's at least some smudge on it, from my clumsy fingers. I'd rather have that happening to a filter than a pricey len's front element, so put good quality UV filters on front of all my lens. The only time I'd consider taking them off temporarily is for night shots with lots of lights, which tend to be the torture test for unwanted reflections.

I mainly have B+W MRC UV's, but there a fair number of respected top end brands. B&H mail order always has the B+W's in stock priced well below my local retailers.

I used to be so against using filters, I mean I was convinced the trade off with the loss image quality verses protection was not even close...To me it was all about the image quality..After all, I spent all this money on this lens to give me crappy pictures...

Well, when I broke the lens hood on my DA*50-135 lens, I had no choice but to get a filter to protect my lens until the new hood came in...So I set out to buy the best filter money could buy...After all I was not about to put a 20 dollar filter on a 900 dollar lens....

Well, to my surprise, My photos where much richer and sharper and I became a believer...Oh, I use only B+W filters and polarizers...They cost but are well worth it...

The filters I had tried before where sunpack and Hoya and they killed the image quality...From what I understand the Hoya Pro stuff is good, but as for me and my house...It is B+W

Hoya filters are quite fine quality and reasonable. I generally favor the skylight 1B SMC. The gentleman at THK (Tokina/Hoya/kenko) was very nice and patiently explained the tech stuff behind their SMC. Unless for super wide, I do not feel the costly pro ultra thin is necessary. For polarizers, just standard circular is usually fine.

Skylight is nice for people shots and skin tones. I have held the Hoya SMC up in front of my face side by side with an average skylight filter, and the difference looking through them in clarity and lack of reflections for the Hoya SMC is most impressive.

I leave a filter on all the time, but take it off when the situation dictates.

99% of photo opportunities will not be affected by the filter.

And Tiffen does make multi coated filters!!!

I take it off when there camera is tripod mounted, I take it off when shooting into the sun.

The advantage of leaving the filter on is it acts as a clear lens cap, I can still shoot with it, but when shooting into the sun, I have a nice clean front element simply by removing the filter.

Also, filters tend to increase weather resistance of lenses, and make it easy to scrub rain, snow and sand off the front element.

As far as anecdotal evidence that a hood is "all you need". Well well agree to disagree since my anecdotal evidence differs. Ive proudly ruined no less than 5 filters of various sizes over the years, I have also cracked 1 filter (an 82mm no less), and worn the coatings off another. Oh, I should note my friends instance of dropping a Tokina ATX-Pro lens, the filter cracked (which he thought was a lens element till he picked it up), but the front element and lens are/were still being used 8 years later.

If money grows on trees for you, than ruining a front element and replacing the lens is an option. If a $500-1500 lens is a big purchase, use the filter, or don't complain when you do damage the front element. But when shooting at home, in a studio, or any controlled environment i'd agree that taking off the filter is the best option.

Thanks everyone.

Justin, I guess the Tiffen's that that particular store was selling didn't have any coatings.

I had decided that I wanted to try and avoid using sky/uv filters since I will most likely adjust everything against a gray card. Got one free recently, but it's huge. Will probably get the WhiBal that my brother in law has.

I wish I had just picked up the Hoya Pro1 Digital when I had the chance instead of second guessing myself. Sales guy offered $15 off. My loss. I'll be out on the trails with an unprotected front element this Saturday unless I can find one between now and then.

I'll just put in a word for Heliopan filters. They have (at least) two price levels with different #'s of coatings. The better, pricier ones are 'SH-PMC'. I believe the less costly ones are still decent but only have a single coating. I've been using some of each, depending on the lens and how rich I feel at time of purchase. I am inclined to think that protective filters aren't 100% necessary but if you are going to use one, you probably shouldn't get the very cheapest ones.

I use a B+W MRC UV filter on my DA 40 Limited at almost all times (except when shooting into sun- if I remember, I'll take it off).

I find it does not affect image quality, is nicely made & easy/solid to screw on & off, and it allows me to think of it, as Justin said, like a clear lens cap. I don't worry about leaving the camera sitting out, uncapped, so it's ready to shoot at family get-togethers for example, but it's protected if some non-photog person moves it.

Also, it enables me to use a simple Pentax push-on lenscap that i have with it rather than the DA40's metal threaded cap. (Nice, but a pain to use frequently.)

-Christian