Need Recommendation For R Lens Technician

I've just received my Leica 100/2.8 APO Macro (ROM) back from being serviced by

an independent technician. Despite this particular tech being highly

recommended by a solid Photo.net user, I am highly dissatisfied with the

conditon of the lens as it now stands.

Please advise me on who you think is the best, I mean VERY BEST, techinician,

anywhere in the world, who can ressurect my lens, and bring it back to spec's.

I need to sell it, and I want to be fully confident that I can offer a lens

that has no compromise in it's performance.

Thanks for help, suggestions, comments, etc.

Reed Ohrbom

Why don't you send it back to its maker? By that, I mean to Solms. There are some very good

tech's out there, but when you want to completely restore something back to its original

state, the best place is probably the factory...they build the things, have all the right parts,

and will be able to fix any problem the lens might have.

For what it's worth, I recently had the pleasure of buying a R9 body and 1.4X Extender off Reed (among other accessories) and can vouch 100% for his honesty and integrity and the lengths he is willing to go to to ensure that a mutually satisfactory transaction is made.

Reed, I recently had my R6.2 serviced by Adeal in Melbourne and was very happy with the attention to detail shown (but expensive!). They are the official Leica distributor and service center in Australia.

If I was going to have a lens repaired, I would be inclined to send it to the Leica repair centre in the USA (New York?) or possibly even consider sending it back to Germany.

Graeme.

Thank You Graeme, and Stu, for the kind words, and encouragement. I probably will send it back to Leica USA, in New Jersey, and it will probably be forwarded to Solms for repair. It's just that I've heard a few stories of members who send lenses to Germany, and were less than satisfied with the results.

I'll see what other recommendations come in over the next week or so, and then make a decision.

Reed

"<I>I've heard a few stories of members who send lenses to Germany, and were less than satisfied with the results.</I>"

<P>

For example my 280mm f/4 APO which Leica USA sent to Solms to replace a chipped front element & bent flange (yes I use my equipment!). The lens returned after 4 months with the new front element and flange, but without its front cap and with the aperture mechanism disconnected.

<P>

Leica USA was very good about replacing the front cap but after having been without the lens for four months I was <B>NOT</B> going to send it back to fix the aperture mechanism. Once I understood the problem the repair took about a minute, but I should not have had to do this - the repair technican in Solms ought to have caught this very obvious problem.