one display or two

Do you prefer one display or two. Or maybe a better question is one larger (say

a 23-24 inch) more expensive display vs two smaller ones (like an iMac 20 + a 20

inch ACD for example)

just getting some advice to plan my future purchases. I have a G5 with a cheap

monitor now and am thinking about a cinema display.

Not springing for Eizo or equivalent, I have an ACD (23"). I put a <a href="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6139">Dell 17" widescreen</a> alongside as a palette monitor. They're not great monitors (really), but they're selling for $139 and they do have brightness controls. Does the job nicely and leaves the ACD for (almost) all image area...

A second display is quite nice for toolbars, palettes and just finding files. It can be

bothersome, however, if they're different monitors that display different colors. I have a 20"

Apple Cinema Display and an older 15" Studio Display, in which the latter can't be calibrated

close enough to the other. In fact, the backlight is dim and whites are quite yellow. I will be

replacing it later with another Cinema Display, but for now, it's still useful. However, a larger

display like the 30" Apple Cinema Display or the EIZO ColorEdge CG301W should be enough

workspace for working with multiple windows.

"A second display is quite nice for toolbars, palettes and just finding files. It can be bothersome, however, if they're different monitors that display different colors."

I agree that colour management is vital - and have said so on many occasions ...

... But I really think that having colour-managed toolbars and pallets is taking things a bit too far! ;)