Pricing....to display or not to display on website?

martha_d.

I am torn on whether or not to display pricing on my site. I feel with today's world and how busy

everyone is, we all want things fast and so displaying my prices would be helpful in that department.

Or...is there a benefit as to not displaying pricing that I don't know about?

My opinion is that offering wedding photography without litsted prices is like placing a personals ad without a picture - many will dismiss you right away because there are a lot of photographers who do post prices. Also, like a personals ad, you have a lot less "first date" surprises if you're up front at the beginning. Of course, the same might be said for people who post 20-year old pictures on their pers ad, but that's another subject entirely...

If your price is a selling point it makes sense to show it. If it is not it makes sense to "hide" it. Since those that doesn't show their pricing can get too many inquiries from brides that doesn't have the budget to hire them, it's common to put "packages starting at..." or similar.

Peter

We do not list any prices, then again our online presence is not our key marketing strategy.

We also do NOT have a chart of costs outside the studio.

It makes sense to emphasise your KSP (key selling point) and in that regard I agree with this comment:

`If your price is a selling point it makes sense to show it.` (PC)

But I note that the business`s KSP also goes a long way to define the business`s target market, and in this regard I agree with:

`I list my prices. When I shop online for products or services, I want to know much i am paying. I don't want to waste my time with inquires.` (TS)

The target market described above prioritizes price and makes the first decision on price, as indicated in the quote.

So, therefore we (the studio I work with) do not have an emphasis in online marketing, and where we do; we do not list any prices because we are not overly interested in online or distance shoppers, or first decision makers on price alone. We use online as a shop window only, and encourage telephone enquires followed by a personal meeting.

>>> Wow! This is confusing, everyone seems to make a good point.<<< (MD)

Well no.

I see it a different way: there are different answers because each it seems has defined their business and is doing what they believe is best to capture the most clients with their marketing strategy tailored to address their (different) target markets.

WW

I post them. Why is it such a secret? You have to tell them eventually. Why not save everyone's time going over all the details if they can't, or don't want to pay your prices in the first place? Just makes it so much easier, I think. Look at it this way - if it was you, what would you prefer? Would you rather look in the paper to buy a car and see the price, or go look at the nice car, nice interior, engine, etc., spend 45 minutes with the car salesman, only to find out the car is like $20K more than you can afford. Then spend the next 30 minutes listening to him trying to convince you why you can afford it... (I'm not trying to be offensive to those that don't post prices, I am just trying to use a semi extreme example to make a point :) lol

>>> Would you rather look in the paper to buy a car and see the price, or go look at the nice car, nice interior, engine, etc., spend 45 minutes with the car salesman, [. . .] I'm not trying to be offensive [ . . .] <<< (HB)

Nor am I being offensive with the following comment:

This example is totally irrelevant, but highlights a common fundamental marketing flaw.

The car is a Product: My Wedding Photography is a service, and then there is a result a product.

There is a vast commercial and business difference: though some never see it.

But noted there are many Wedding Photographers who sell a product only.

WW

There are as many opinions on this as there are photographers.

We begain the trend in our market to showing prices. I am put off by retail experiences where finding out the price is akin to searching for the holy grail.

I do not want to waste my time with a potential client who unrealistic about price. It makes for unpleasent interaction. IF the client is hoping to have me come down in price that is ok as I then have the opportunity to organize value for her BUT the person who thinks that 200 guests at a pricey venue equals a $500 budget for photos knows that it isn't going to be with me.

In the end you have to decide what works for you and your location. In my area it is the norm to be fairly transparent on price. Really helps to keep on track about style and coverage rather than a price war.

Brooke

To put a different spin on the discussion...

A friend of mine recently got engaged in started a thread on facebook with her married friends asking for wedding planning advice. So, I've been able to see everyone's responses... and one girl said to watch out for vendors without pricing on their sites... if you meet with them show up wearing as little jewellery as possible as it was impossible to tell if they had a sliding scale to accommodate the economic range of the people they met with.

Now, I personally think this is CRAP and a very sour view of the industry we work in... but just to put it out there... there are obviously some who feel this way. With pricing on your site, you can't slide the scale if you think the client can afford it.

(My site has pricing... I want people to know I am within their budget before they waste my time)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an exact right or wrong on this one. I think whether you get a lot of inquiries or not will be more affected by the quality of your work and your price point period. However, IMHO, you should at least have some base point posted. We used to advertise all our prices but since we have increased we now have the "starting at" message and they can email us for a complete price list.

Try what your gut instinct tells you, and if you're not happy, try something else.

"The car is a Product: My Wedding Photography is a service, and then there is a result a product.

There is a vast commercial and business difference: though some never see it.

But noted there are many Wedding Photographers who sell a product only."<p><p>

That's how we have always felt..... You can compare with a hard commodity unit {manufacturers : car to car model} but, we always explain ~~ its not just the canvas you are purchasing. That's easy to evaluate on line <p><p>

Our prices fluctuate by the B&G budgets & many other factors. There is a "average" price we may quote --but ,thats just a starting point. In others words, prices vary by > venue ~ size of wedding party ~ hours ~ digital or film ~ etc.

>>> That's how we have always felt..... <<<(CJG)

Obviously in a discussion like this, one will seek out those with a common view: but that is NOT the reason I am picking up on your comments, but rather for this bit:

>>> Our prices fluctuate by the B&G budgets & many other factors. There is a "average" price we may quote --but ,thats just a starting point. In others words, prices vary by > venue ~ size of wedding party ~ hours ~ digital or film ~ etc. <<<

To my thinking, this is the menu of a typical `service based` business.

Now if we take this comment:

>>> one girl said to watch out for vendors without pricing on their sites... if you meet with them show up wearing as little jewellery as possible as it was impossible to tell if they had a sliding scale to accommodate the economic range of the people they met with. <<<

and add it to this comment:

>>> (My site has pricing... I want people to know I am within their budget before they waste my time) <<<

these two comments combine, IMO, to strengthen my argument I posted earlier:

```It makes sense to emphasise your KSP (key selling point) and in that regard I agree with this comment:

`If your price is a selling point it makes sense to show it.` (PC)

But I note that the business`s KSP also goes a long way to define the business`s target market, and in this regard I agree with:

`I list my prices. When I shop online for products or services, I want to know much i am paying. I don't want to waste my time with inquires.` (TS)

The target market described above prioritizes price and makes the first decision on price, as indicated in the quote. ```

So, I think that so long as your marketing is addressing the key selling points of your business and both are addressing the target market you wish to draw from, both posting prices or not posting them, will work effectively.

Now, we could have another discussion about which method has the potential to produce a better bottom line: but that would be a different discussion, I think.

WW

Since 90% of our weddings are traveling from out of state -- {only a handful ever visit our studios prior to the wedding} we need every call possible. We sell them on the phone -- but, not just by price. I am sure that we would loose 50% of our calls > if there was a price advertised. Just a a different market...

>>> {only a handful ever visit our studios prior to the wedding} <<< (cjg)

You conduct nearly all of your initial sales meeting over the phone: we conduct nearly all of ours at the studio: the structure is the same, the delivery is just different.

We too would loose up to 50% of our inquiries, if there were a list of charges posted on the front door, or on line.

So, would you term your business as a `Destination Wedding Business`, but you happen to have your Studio at the `Destination`?

WW

I think that it depends on your market, and your reputation. If you seek to work exclusively with clients who pay what you charge, regardless of the posting of prices, then leave them off. If instead you are trying to fill your book and wish to be as efficient in your time management of marketing, listing the prices will winnow out those who fall out of your budget.

It used to be the same consideration for using Flash on a website, now anyone who doesn't have a high speed connection is more than likely, not 100%, to NOT be in the marketing demographic for any business.

More succinctly, I hope, does your ideal client love your work, or are they shopping for bargains? ...which isn't a bad thing, but might not be in your business model

WILLIAM "So, would you term your business as a `Destination Wedding Business`, but you happen to have your Studio at the `Destination`?"

Yes, we work from the home ---if a larger portion of our client base was visiting the studio...we would list some pricing > just to weed out the budget calls. It's the initial conversation that sets the price and the potential sell ~ of the wedding day.