Tripod question: Benro C069 - Who has got one of those?

bjornholland

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a Benro C069 to replace my Gitzo 1228. The 1228 is great ? but the Benro would

fit into my motorcycle's luggage system, which is very important to me.

Has anyone got any experience with it? If you could spare 2 miinutes of your time: Could someone please

measure the circumference (not the diameter!) of the tripod at it's thickest point? (Reason being: it needs

to fit into a tube I had already built for the Gitzo 1228).

Are the Benros really just as good (or better) than Gitzo?

Thanks

Bjoern

I can't help with those models, but I have a C-228 model for which the circumference is approx 13"/33cm, therefore it will be less than that.

The 2 series have a maximum tube width of 28mm, the 1 series 25mm, and the 0 series 22mm - in all cases the centre column tube is the same diameter as the max leg tube.

My 2 series would fit in a tube of about 11cm internal diameter; working backwards from that, if my rusty maths is correct, I would estimate that you would still need a tube of about 27cm circumference, or about 9cm internal diameter for the 0 series.

"Are the Benros really just as good (or better) than Gitzo?" - IMO yes every bit as good if not better! (tripods not heads). I compared the Gitzo and Benro 2 series side by side before purchasing mine about a year ago - since the C-228 was well under half the (UK) price of Gitzo and was supplied with interchangeable feet and a very usable bag (both extras with Gitzo!) I think it is an absolute bargain.

I should point out that I used Gitzo tripods for over twenty years and still have two alloy ones; although they will likely be up on ebay UK sometime soon.

Hope some of this helps.

PS I've just measured the circumference of my Gitzo 'Sport', which I would imagine would be near(er) the size of C-069 - it is about 11.75".

• 3 weeks later...

I got a C-069 for myself and C-169 for my friend last week while I was in HK. I don't have them with me right now, but I'll send an update when I get home. It's really quite small, I have a Velbon CF(I think it's 545, 4 section, twist lock) that I've been using, and the C-169 and C-069 is a fraction of the size.

Quality is really good, and way above my expectation for the price(paid $200 for 069 and $260 for 169). Not sure if it is better than Gitzo cause I've only played with Gitzo in stores, and not for any length of time.

I have a Benro head as well, and I wouldn't buy another one of their heads, but I am pretty sure I'll get another set of Benro legs(2 series) again now that I have spent a week playing with them.

Steve - which Benro head did you get and what makes you dissatisfied with it? I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the KJ range, since I can't afford the Arca Z1 at present, buy if they are no good I'll stick with what I have a while longer!

I have the KS-1. My problem with it is two fold. The first part of the problem is that the screws on the base seems to come loose quite easily. When the become loose, the panning base cannot be completely locked down, so it is quite annoying, especially when you are travelling. By itself, this isn't too big a problem, cause I can tighten it, but because it use the Star screws instead of standard screws, I need a special screw driver to tighten it, and at times I forget to carry that. I tried to find replacement screws with philips or flat head for it, but I can't seem to match the size of these screws. Also the screws themselves doesn't seem to be very good quality, so the chips or get worned out when I try to tighten it with more force.

I would try loctite for the screws but the KS-1's panning base covers the body of the head, and dirt and sand seem to get in quite often so I need to disassemble the head from time to time to clean it. So loctite is probably not a good idea, not sure if it would work anyhow.

Thanks Steve -

A less permanent alternative to loctite on the Torx type screw threads might be a tiny bit of ptfe tape round the threads (as used by plumbers, may be called something else in US?).

Is the operation of the ball itself satisfactory? also the clamp/plate? - if it's only those screws that are a problem I think I could probably cope with that.

Thanks, I think I know what you are talking about, I'll give that a try.

The screws are the biggest problem for me because they usually becomes a problem at the worst time. Other than the screws, the clamp itself have recently started to get stuck in the close position even when the knob has been loosen. I think it's just a matter of lubrication, but haven't looked at it yet. Other than that, I have no problems with the clamp. The plates are just generic plates, so don't expect too much from them.

One other thing is that the clamp doesn't seem to be removable/changable from the head, at least on mine. I am not sure if that's been changed on the newer ones.

The ball actually works pretty well, I can't seem to get get the Friction control just right such that the camera is easily movable but at the same time will stay in place with the camera in different position. But I don't think that's a problem with Benro but rather a problem with spherical ball.... I am certainly not rich enough and don't use the tripod enough to pay for arca head which has "progress resistance". :)

So overall, come to think of it, Benro head is not half bad. :)

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Benro A-069, which is new I think since they seem non-existent in the European market. I got it new off ebay from Hong Kong and would seriously recommend it.

Admittedly it's not as good as the C-069 which is similar but carbon fibre and a touch lighter but the A-069 appears to be at Benro's top end of its aluminum range. I got it for around ᆪ100 and it just arrived. It's exactly the tripod I require for travelling - light, small but still can support a decent load.

Cheers, Nick.