Nokton 35mm f1.4

pje

Probably a derivative of the CV 40 at a 50% higher price, lol. PT Barnum immediately comes to mind. If I want a poorly performing replacement for the pre-a lux, I can buy the CV, or a better idea, replace the lux I sold for the same price as the CV and get the 'glow'. btw, I also sold the asph lux. Call anything a 'classic' and the fools and their money...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Alex, but what I see in those pics which I've linked to are donut shaped OOF highlights (see sample 2) and double lines (as in sample 3, the branches) - synonymous to bad bokeh. In fact, the OOF areas are so "busy" in all the three of them that they totally detract attention from the foregrounds. <p>

As for your comparison pics (self portraits), it's astonishing to see how well contained the "glow" of your 35 pre-asph sample is at 1.4, while resolutionwise the Nokton wins hands down. Also interesting, IMHO, is the fact that the Nokton appears to have a more restricted DOF than the 35 pre-asph - a phenomenon which has already been discussed at length in <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003N7w">this thread</a>.<p>Cheers.

Sorry if I also come across as aggressive and clueless... :-)

I might be outnumbered here because I don't care for "bokeh" or other cabalistic science because sharpness, contrast and absence of distortion are my vital interests. Am I old-fashioned? Maybe.

All those Flickr shots I have seen are not qualified to show sharpness, contrast and absence of distortion. Of course, these night shots are the real world, we all want to shoot at night in the streets with such a lens.

But if you want to show how good or bad a lens really is you need a flat, extremely detailed motif and a tripod. If the motif is something as boring as some newspaper sheets on a wall it will show much more than 'handheld vivid japanese street shots'. You might put some pinup girls in the foreground to see how the bokeh affects skin tones and to liven up the photo, but that is not essential :-)

Yes I saw the drat donuts and double lines. I think that if they distract from the

foreground it is because the foreground is not all that interesting to begin with. I checked

Tom Abrahamsson's shots with the SC version on Flickr (T&T and Mr B) and in none of his

shots is bokeh a problem. I also did a close up check of my first photo above and found

the circles and double lines, which were not pronounced, not to be distracting. It is

important to understand the tendency of this lens, as any lens, in order to get the best out

of it. The old Summilux has it virtues but has flare, ghosting and wide-open resolution

issues. The Nokton is amazingly sharp at f1.4 and handles ghosting and flare very well.

Look at my two portraits shot into the light.

I have other not great bokeh lenses that are nevertheless excellent performers, like my

Nikkor 50/1.4 2000. My old Summilux 50/1.4 has nice bokeh (I think) not the overall

crispness of the Nikkor. The best reason to have many lenses.

I got a call today telling me I need a mug shot for my upcoming joint exhibition. Guess

which one of the self-portraits above I sent, after converting it to black and white and

cropping it a little. The Summilux one. I liked the mystery in it, which the other one

lacks, sharp and clear as it.

What we accept from a lens is a matter of personal taste. Your yuck is someone else's

ahhh or ho-hum. Consider how readily acceptable those out of focus donuts in mirror

lenses generally are.

My beef with the Nokton 35/1.4 is the focusing tab feels slippery. It's getting easier to

use on the M8 but still a pain on the film Ms with Rapidwinders. Hoping the stiffness in

the focusing ring will mellow out soon.

Lutz, what else than sharpness and contrast are important for street photography?

I set my lens to hyperfocal or similar and I want everything to be really sharp. Period. That's what I am doing with my Leica most times, since many years.

<i>http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/4625825-lg.jpg</i><p>

Hmm, Clemens. <a href="http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/4625825-lg.jpg">Bokeh</a>...? <a href="http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/4625765-lg.jpg">Or</a>... <a href="http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/3119397-lg.jpg">or</a>... ;-) These lenses' qualities (Hexar AF 35 @2.0, Summilux 75 @2.4, Summicron 50 @4.0) may not be important to you, to me they are. When I want *everything* sharp I, too, stop down. But sometimes I prefer a shallow DOF, and that is where bokeh steps in. Cheers.

Lutz,

20 years ago when professional photography was 100% analog nobody gave a penny for a nice 'what's that?'. Sharpness, contrast and lack of distortion, that has always been the essence of lens quality.

Probably "bokeh" is a matter of personal preference and photographic style. But I also expect that "bokeh" is a marketing thing introduced by manufacturers of not-so-sharp lenses. I must admit, I will never understand that.

Alex, thanks for posting your shots. The Summilux shot reminds me of all the reasons why I didn't keep that lens. Not that it wasn't just fine stopped down and good for portraints etc, but when you need a good all purpose walkaround lens that can be used at f1.4 the amount of coma and flare from the Summilux made it too unpredicable for me.

The Nokton seems to be a great compromise between size, performance at full aperture and PRICE! The fact that it costs 1/3 of a used beater Summilux makes it a great option.

Bokeh is such a subjective judgement that I don't let what I see in posted shots determine my own opinion. I've had crummy shots from some of the "bokeh kings" like the Summicron V4 and Summicron 50's. I've had beautiful images from lenses that should be all rubbish.

Distance, motif and processing are such great variables that it's best to judge for yourself.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dan. You've summed up old Summilux very well. Like the

proverbial little girl: When she was good she was very good but when she was bad she was

awful. Knowing that, I was always careful where and how I shot with it. It was very good in

Paris this winter because Paris's light was either subdued or hidden behind dark clouds. The

Nokton is a surprise. It is better than I expected. And the price is right.

<i>'But I also expect that "bokeh" is a marketing thing introduced by manufacturers of not-so-sharp lenses.'</i>

<p>

Actually, <i>bokeh</i> is a Japanese word introduced into English language discussions of photography by Michael Johnston. And, as I recall, he's also the one who proclaimed the Version 4 35mm Summicron to be "the kong of bokeh". That's a lens I'd not characterize as "not-so-sharp".