? about 2-Button FORMAT on D-300

JAPster

Greetings, to all Photo.Net Viewers & Contributors.

I have a ? and "issue" with the 2-Button FORMAT function on the Nikon D300.

I just bought a new D300, and 3 new 3GB and 4GB Hitachi CF-II Micro-Drives to

use as the memory device.

Following the procedure in the manual, I tried to format the card with the "2

Button" method. Basically, holding down the Trash Can button (left) and the

Mode button (right), simultaneously,for about 2 seconds. Well, I tried, but

nothing happened, as far as I could tell. I saw no response from the camera at

all. No indicator lights flashed,no status msgs popped up anywhere.

So I went to Plan B, and use the System Menu, and the FORMAT entry. That

worked, and I proceeded to format my new Hitachi card just fine.

So, now, I'm wondering if I'm the only person in the Nikon world that has had

an issue like this with the D300, or has anyone seen this or something like it.

I'm pretty sure I was following their procedure to the letter, and I'm not new

to technology, but I am new to Nikons.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated, but its not urgent, since the menu

approach does seem to be working.

Thanks to all that contribute.

AP

I don't know if it is similar, but I posted a similar issue with my D80. When I pressed the two buttons, I DID get a "FOr" indicator in the top LCD, but nothing happened. The response to my post clarified that you have to release the buttons once this indicator comes up, and then press them both again to actually do the card format. Perhaps the D300 is similar and requires a second press of the buttons?

I have both the D80 and the D300 and they essentially work the same way regarding the

two-button formatting - the D80 needs a second of pressing both buttons, while the

D300 needs two seconds pressing.

Once the "For" message appears on the small display, refrain from pressing and let the

camera alone and finish formatting. Formatting is done once the "For" message

disappears and the amount of pictures that can be stored on the memory card is reset.

Note: Pressing any button while the "For" message is in operation will CANCEL the

formatting process - as pointed out in the D300 manual.

Something different with your D300 because I just experimented once again the two-

button procedure and I only push both buttons once to format. All I had to do was wait

for the format to be done and go back to normal.

As PAGE 41 of the D300 manual states:

"Press the FORMAT buttons. Hold the FORMAT (MODE AND TRASH) buttons down

simultaneously for approximately two seconds.

A blinking "For" will appear in the shutter-speed displays in the control panel and

viewfinder.

To exit without formatting the memory card, press any button other than

the FORMAT (MODE and TRASH) buttons."

I'm curious why the process is different between two models.

Raymond.... I'm sorry but I don't have a manual and I had never tried formatting this way. As

you guys talked about it I did it your way. The blinking FOR appeared and in a few secs it

stopped. I checked and the pictures were there. Then I tried again and after the blinking FOR

appeared I let go and then push both buttons again and it worked! Sorry, I don't have any

explanation for it but that is how it worked in my camera.

Rene'

Reymond.... I just fund out, it continuos to page 42.

3Press the Q buttons again.

Press the Q (I and O) buttons together a second time to

format the memory card. Do not remove the memory card or

remove or disconnect the power source during formatting.

When formatting is complete, the

control panel and viewfinder will show

the number of photographs that can

be recorded at current settings.

I just copied and pasted from the pdf manual

ALL Nikon digital cameras with an external two button format option require you to hold the two buttons down until FOR blinks in the upper LCD display at which time you release the buttons and press them again. The two buttons are usually colored RED, have a red dot next to them or the text is in red. This makes it easy to find from camera to camera which two buttons you need to use for the Format.

The procedure is very much like a Format option on ALL computers where you tell your computer to FORMAT your hard drive and it sends up another window asking you if you are sure you want to do that. You then have to answer again with a yes or ok. This two step procedure is for your own safety in not removing the dirctory to valuable photos before you back them up.

THANK YOU ALL for the timely responses and observations. Looks like I kicked up a little dust with this one. :) I just finished shooting a bunch of pictures of the recent Lunar Eclipse, and have copied them to my laptop already. So tonight or tomorrow I'll try the 2Button Format again.

About the CF Card type, yes, the Hittachi CF-II+ Micro-Drive 3GB & 4GB are the only kind I have right now. Those seem to be running flawlessly, once you get em Formatted. They also transfer the files to the laptop pretty fast. For example, I transferred 527 pictures of the eclipse in about 5 minutes. Each picture averaged about 5MB (these were JPEG-FINE). I thought that was pretty good.

Hello to all. This is a followup just to say i tried your suggestions and they worked! Problem resolved. It seems that I was not holding down the two buttons long enough (although I was counting out 2 seconds in my mind). I tried holding them down for 4 seconds, and finally got the "For" msg on the top LCD screen. Also, I was failing to inititiate the 2nd button press, which actually starts the format. When I did the 2ND 2-Button Press, after seeing the FOR msg on top, the camera responded and activated the FORMAT, the CF Card Indicator Light flashed on, to indicate format in progress. So, looks like the problem was Operator Error, and not Nikon's problem. Thank you, again, to all those that took time & interest to respond. I really appreciate it.