Microtek i900 - fine vertical lines. Is Epson V700 V750 any better?

My Microtek i900 produces very fine (1 or 2 pixel) vertical lines down the length of all my 8x10

transparency scans. I've tried dusting and cleaning, different kinds of scanner software, various multi-pass

/ PPI settings, etc. Life is short and I'm ditching the scanner.

The natural move would be to Epson. Have others who regularly use these scanners to scan 8x10

transparencies experienced any problems with fine line glitches, dust, etc?

Hi again. That link doesn't seem to work. So here's a copy of my previous answer:

Jonathan Bourla, Dec 03, 2007; 02:27 p.m.

Hi. I also have an i900 scanner, and have had the same problem. Vacuuming through the

scanning tray hole didn't clear the dust. What you have to do is remove the glass panel at

the top of the scanner. Have a look at the frame holding the glass. In the middle of the

rear edge is a small hole or tube. By gently pushing a pencil into this hole, you can release

the glass frame, which slides forward. Blow compressed air at the scanner's scanning

element, and follow by a vacuum. This cleared the dust which had been causing a line on

my scans.

Regards, Jonathan

Jonathan Bourla, Dec 03, 2007; 03:33 p.m.

I forgot to say, that when vacuuming I held the cleaner's nozzle a little bit away from the

scanner's internals, as I didn't want to risk knocking anything out of alignment.

Jonathan