D300 dies from apparent no battery? then comes back to life? can anyone help?

trunfio

Hi folks-- Anyone have this problem? I have two D300s (thank God for a backup) that I used at a

wedding today. The camera with the 70-200/2.8 VR lost power and died. Flip the power switch off and

then on and then it would come back for a few seconds and conk out again. Tried two different batteries.

Same thing. I couldn't keep fiddling with it because the ceremony was going on, so I went to one body.

Now tonight when I got home I reseated the lens (took off and put back on) and ran it through its paces

and all seems fine now. Also when the camera conked out it gave an f stop with the f and the triangle

sign. I know that happens when there is no lens on the camera. First time all of this has happened. And

it's eroded my confidence in my gear. Any advice?

The weight of the 70-200mm lens might be a (un)likely cause. Does the lens mount area have any flex when you are hanging the camera from your neck or shoulder? If there is play, it is possible to have a connection become less than 100 percent part of the time, making a difficult day at a wedding.

I encountered that the Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR lens gives the main problem.

In my Nikon D200 it gives the f values of "0" and triangle theres a little movement on lens

on D200 mount. Turn off/on D200 runs again but it always return the error and cannot

focus.

Just a 3weeks ago I bought the Nikon D300 runs normal and again I purchased the MB-

D10 and the problem occurs. Before in my D200 it aperture and focusig are the one

affected NOW with my D300 it's totally shutdown the top rear view and monitor is off and

the BLINKING baterry indicator is the one appears in top screen.

Then with some nikonians.org gives an advice to clean using IPA and seems it running

good but I need to use it continuely if error will not back.

Ahhh my Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR contact pins is the one I cleaned.

And I have no trouble found in my other Nikkor lenses.

Means that the 70-200/2.8VR is the one contributing the problem with my D200 and

D300.

Regards and keep shooting.

fherD

Sounds like 2 problems to me,both of which I have encountered.. The battery problem I had

on the d200, which would flash low battery and shutdown. Turned the camera off and back

on take a couple of shots it would die again. I sent it back to Nikon 3 times finally fixed it.

The 70-200 I use was isopropyl alcohol swaps to clean the contacts per Nikon tech (the lens

and camera contacts). I think this is common to that lens in talking to the people I shoot

with. Never the less this works. I would send the camera back.

Clint

BATTERY DIES:

I had the same problem taking photos of high school basketball game

my fully charged battery showed low bat after about 30 shots.

I turned the camera off and on again and every thing was fine.

I hope this is not a flaw in the D-300. This will not answer your question but I would like to know and let others know it's not an isolated event.

Vic Mootsey

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I have had the Dead battery camera shutdown for two years now and it all is related to my 70 x 200 2.8 VR . It fist appeared last year when i bought this lens and a d200. The focus on the lens was bad and the vr function was never acurate. I have other nikon VR lens and never had an issue. I purchased a new D300 thinking the issue was fixed. My D300 and the 70 x 200 worked great for two months then The dead battery and focus issue started . I sent in the lens and Nikon replaced the bayonet and cleaned and adjusted the focus. The lens was perfect when it returned and focus and vr funtion was excellent. I went shootin on saturday and after 50 shots the dead battery issue appeared . I reset the camera fixed for two more shots replaced the battery same issue . I called Nikon and they want the lens back to experement with and they also want all three camera bodies to try. NOT !!!!! I will send in the lens just because im upset with this issue and need it fixed . I don't believe that all cameras are bad when this only happens with this lens. So you are not alone on this one I am getting real tired of NIKON saying they have never heard of this issue with anyone else. I have two friends with D3 and this lense and it is doing the same thing . Why is NIKON not stepping up on this one I don't under stand at all .

Joe, there are a few reports of such issues, but considering how many D300's Nikon has sold, I wouldn't say it is that common, but obviously whoever is affected is pissed off.

I would highly recommend you to send your lens and at least one of your camera bodies that has this problem with that lens to Nikon. It should be much easier for them to reproduce the problem with both components. Otherwise, if they cannot see the same problem with your lens and their cameras, it'll likely take more round-trip shipping and far more frustration on your part before it gets fixed.

I too have a 70-200 and I have used it on a D200, two D300's and a D3. I have never seen this problem with any lens on any body myself.

There is another thread on a related issue, and last time I checked, Nikon has not figured out the problem yet:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OT2O

I see this thread hasn't died. I tried the alcohol cleaning and that seemed to fix things. But

then it happened the other night (of course in the middle of something important). I

switched the lens to my other camera (also a D300). The problem on the first D300 was the

dead battery signal like I described. The problem on the other camera was an Err message. I

reseated the lens a couple times and it has worked for about 1000 frames now. I'm due a

call into Nikon about this as I'm getting annoyed that a 1800$ camera and $1700 lens don't

seem to work well together. One thing I didn't try was shutting off the VR. Seeing as the

problem is so intermitent, I'm not optimistic this will be solved..... But, we'll see.

Hello Shun

I agree with you on one issue that it is upsetting to have this issue happen to only a few people consider yourself lucky that you haven't seen this issue YET!!!! I find the comments from people who have never had this issue quick to justify why it only happens to a few . I do wonder if your attitude would change if you have had as many issues with Nikon gear as I and others have . There were two other people that i was shooting with this weekend that had the same issue so I don't believe that this is as isolated as the ones who comment that they have never had any problems and jump on making excuses for Nikon as if we are just complaining. I did call Nikon this morning and I am sending in the lens and my new D300 at the same time. You are right that if they don't have both to see for them self what the issue is they can't fix it. I just hope they look close and use it enough for the issue to show up on their end. I have read where they did nothing as they couln't not duplicate the issue . Maybe i read too much :-)

I will let everyone know what Nikon finds

Joe, I have been using Nikon cameras since 1977 and my D300 is the 11th new Nikon body (and 4th DSLR) I have bought. So far none has ever gone back for warranty repair. And I travel quite a bit to remote locations with extreme climates. For example, my F5 has been to every continent in the world and it never developes any problems. I think that record and my personal experience with Nikon speaks for itself.

But of course any product will have some failures. If the nature of the problem is between body and lens, I would highly recommend sending both parts to Nikon for evaluation. I would also put a name/address/phone label on both so that it is easier for Nikon to keep track of the items.

While it is frustrating for the owners, warranty repair is also very costly for Nikon. So if they can't fix it after a couple of attempts, do pressure them to replace the items. It should be less painful and cheaper for both parties.

People can let out some steam in forums such as this one. It is good to exchange information on common problems, but you need to work with Nikon to really get your problems resolved.

Hi Shun

I agree Nikon is where we should be at with this issue as I am right now and also others. I have a Pre Paid label to send both to NY for repair. I have received excellent repairs from nikon over the years they do resolve the problems it just is Inconvenient for us who have to send their equipment in . You are so lucky that you have never had to go thru the process . I have had to send in almost every piece of nukon equipment back to nikon for repair of some sort. If you read all the issue with the d70 thru the d300 i have had at least two on each item . I always buy from the best photo shops no off the wall places and it always works out that way for me . That is why I wonder how many issues are left unresolved just because the casual shooter doen't use his equipment enough to notice the problems or just hope it goes away. I tried that and it hasn't happened yet. I do shoot with Canon Also and never had a issue it's just that Nikon is still the best for AF and high ISO for what i shoot at my price range and the D300 is a excellent camera it rocks !!!!!

Someone wrote me offline and asked that I post this. Perhaps this will be helpful.

I am not a member of this message board, but maybe you would like to post my response. I think it may help the many people out there with this problem.

Just this week, April 2008, I sent my D300 to Nikon for service for the THIRD time. Each time for the issue with the "shut-down, false low-battery, with the 70-200". Each time Nikon was not able to duplicate error while it was in their possession. This time, I

video taped the error while it happened. I placed my camera on a flat surface and held my video camera while I moved the camera, picked up the camera, and pushed the shutter release button. I was able to get the camera to produce the error 4 times in about 5

minutes. I made a cpoy of this recording and sent it with my camera. I also instructed them to test the camera before they detached the lens. It seems that detaching the lens can temporarily reduce the amount of time it takes to duplicate the error. When I

spoke ti Nikon today, they said that they watch the tape and were able to duplicate the error. He said they had NO idea what the defect was exactly, but they are going to replace my camera, Wow, finally. I just hope I get a good body this time.

I also sent a letter with the links (and screen shots) to several of the message boards that were discussing the issue. I was copy those links below. I think the most helpful is the first link, which also has a video recording. This is where I got the ides to tape my

camera.

I hope this is helpful to those who are having trouble. I hope Nikon can step up and figure this out so we can all feel proud when we go out with our Nikons!

http://www.notebooks.com/2008/01/22/d300-false-low-battery-warningsworthless-dslrthanks-a-lot-nikon/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1039&thread=26374611&page=1

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?%20az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=115109&mesg_id=115109&page=

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=149&topic_id=117353&prev_page=show_topic&gid=0#117353

Hello

I Had the same issue and it is hard for Nikon to fix something with out see it in the shop of duplicating it . I can now believe that every issue may be related or multiple issue you never know . I had the dead battery issue with the Nikon 70 x 200 2.8 VR lens with two D200 and my new D300 after 2 month being mounted on the D300. The lens didn't seem to focus like it should and the VR was strange. I have all VR lens and this lens was my problem child. It was also loose on the camera body just more twisting play that it should have, just enough to cause the connection between the camera and lens to loose contact. I sent in the lens to Nikon and they adjusted everything and replaced the lens bayonet . It worked great on the D200 but still caused the dead battery issue on the D300 . Like many had suggested buying a product called Deoxit contact cleaner had worked for most. I ordered the kit 25.00 and tried it last night. I cleaned all battery and contacts on the bayonet's but only wiped the contacts inside the camera with a lens cloth with a little rubbing alcohol on the cloth.I was supprised at the amount of stuff that I noticed on the rag while cleaning. I went out shooting and had not one issue . I took 1,500 pictures just to see if i could repeat the problem to my supprise I could not. I don't believe that this is the real cure for this issue . There may be a better fix if nikon ever decides what the issue is as there may be multiple problems just like i had with my lens. I don't know . I did clean all my other camera body and lens with Deoxit just to be safe. If this works and keeps the

dreaded battery bunny away from my gear so be it .

Paul, Joe or everybody else, I am trying to summarize this "false dead battery" issue and go through photo.net's contact to discuss with Nikon Technical Support. If you have any additional information, please follow up to this thread.

For more details, please see my post at 11:14am today (6th April, 2008) in the following thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OT2O

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Ok I Give up !!!! My temp fix of cleaning the contacts on my D300 has failed . The dead battery issue has returned with a vengence. I sent it back to kikon NY last week. I also sent a letter with all the repairs done on my 70 x 200 2.8 nd the D 200 that was just fixed a few weeks ago. The D200 works great now they replaced several electrical items .

I don't know what to think about the D300 and this issue it's strange. I will repost as to what was fixed and replaced if any

• 11 months later...

<p>I realize this is an old thread, but the symptom got a little worse for me this past weekend that I thought I'd post here and see if it's just an isolated incident. Basically, I have been having the false low-battery issue over the past week, but over the weekend, it started doing something different, with the auto focus just shutting down (but no low-battery warning) for no apparent reason. I turned the camera off and then back on, played with all the switches, re-installed the lens, same thing with the battery but to no avail. </p>

<p>I'm using a D80, and I've been borrowing the 70-200 for just over a week. After the auto focus shut down, I went to a different lens but was missing the 2.8, so I stuck the 70-200 back on and focused manually. It's was a cycling event, btw. :) Auto focus eventually kicked back in, then back out after maybe 20 minutes. Battery was fresh the first time I lost auto focus, but it was fairly low the 2nd time.</p>

<p>Since I'm borrowing the lens, sending the body/lens combo in to Nikon is out of the question, but I plan on purchasing my own copy of the 70-200 soon and was wondering if this is likely to happen with my copy when it gets here?</p>