Rollei SL66 uneven exposure.

mi_zhou2

I recently acquired an used Rollei SL66 to start a new project. Just love the camera, but have a big

problem: negatives came out with uneven exposed image, especially on images with sky or bright scene.

The left and right edges are always slightly over exposed, and sky never looks even. I've tried with 2

different lenses and 2 backs, same thing happens, checked the camera, it seems light-tight, all inside

black paint looks fine...

Anybody knows what's wrong? Many Thanks!<div>00OV0l-41835084.jpg.0d1c1a8a45fd473fea39f2ad7400b964.jpg</div>

You are barking up the wrong tree. Your problem is in uneven film processing. You have

edge surge from a bad agitation technique. It is difficult to get rid of it completely if you

are processing in stainless steel daylight tanks. You might have to try leaving the top reel

empty and leaving an air space in the can.

Looks like an light-leak to me caused by faulty mag. or cloth shutter. I used to own a SL66, and while i loved it i had nothing but problems with it - one similar to yours and others. I eventually sent it in for repairs to Harry Fleenor - harry@rolleirepair.com

Good luck....

Has Mr Fleenor looked at your test picture? Although the camera will definitely be in top condition after he has worked on it, I still have my doubts that it's a camera problem. I have had an SL66 with a shutter out of adjustment, and as has been noted by a previous poster, the fault shows up as a change in exposure from top to bottom, not on the sides.

Light leaks in the bellows might be a possibility. You might be able to check that yourself. If it is the case, there will be a difference between frames taken just after winding on and a frame taken when the camera has been wound on for a long time (because of the different amounts of time for light to enter).

You might be able to detect light leaks by inspection in a dark place with a bright lamp to search for leaks.

The film development problem seems like a possible cause to me. Maybe it's worth trying using a different tank and different agitation.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Mi Zhou,

I have same problem. In my case it should depends on bad development technique. It

seldom happens but happens, anyway. I have not understood yet where it came from.

Someone told me that it is caused by little streams which creates inside the tank during

preocess. Someone else added that it caused by non corrected mix of the chemicals once

put into the water. Did you get any answer on the issue.?

Antonio

Did

Hey Antonio, Thanks for your input.

I have to admit that it was my problem. I sent a color film to pro lab, it turned out perfect

even, then i changed my agitation method, more upside down rotation, it's much better

now. Now another issue, it seems there are few bubbles at film edge refuse to go away, i

did tap the tank every time after agitation. Do you have any good suggestion?

Here're some new photos: http://www.zhoumi.net/gallery.html

I'm still puzzling, the film came from Rollei sl66 seems more sensitive to agitation than

those from other cameras. Maybe i'm wrong again.

It is a long term learning. I still have, sometimes problems without understanging, very

well what is going As form the bubbles I am, now sttuggling with Rollei Ortho. I never

experienced air bubbles except for this film. this let me initially think about an emulsion

problem. but i am sure there is something wrong in my agitation.I have noticed that

sometimes normal agitation works better, some othr time i prefer to agitate by spining the

knob. What I can say is that any single film / developper has its own caracheristics so

that it behaviour may differ..Anyway pre soak might helping avoiding air bubble.

Antonio

• 10 years later...
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to reach out and see if processing was the final verdict. I have had the same issue with 3 out of 5 rolls of Kodak T Max 100 I have put through a recently purchased Hasselblad 501c. The photo of the stuffed elephant looks exactly like what I have been getting and the processing has been handled by a very reputable lab who has handeled all of my color slide film since 2012. I have also checked for light leaks on the back and have found nothing. The camera is in very good condition however I have not sent it out for CLA since I purchased it. As stated I have had two rolls come out without any issue which lead me to believe it was a processing error. Any insight is appreciated!