-manual output controls. I MUST be able to dial down the output manually

-MUST have both bounce AND swivel head

-good power

-voltage safe for K10D

-built in wireless would be nice, but not necessary

-TTL, P-TTL,- again, nice but far from necessary

-$150 tops - used is fine with me.

I'm slowing learning about the newest Pentax flashes, but the older ones and

other brands are still unknown waters for me. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

The AF280 is a long time favorite. Very versatile with bounce, swivel, auto thyristor (2

settings) manual (2 settings) and TTL for the film bodies (no P-TTL, but auto works fine

on a K10D). You can also "manual zoom" it with available attachments for extra reach or

extra spread. Power is by 4AA's only.

Not the most powerful flash I've used, but it is decent with a guide number of about

28(meters)/84(feet).

Typically $50 on ebay.

Oh, yeah. I measured mine at 22v trigger and it is currently my dad's primary flash for his

K10. We bought it used in 1995 and is still running strong. The 280 was in production a

long time, but since it was designed for electronic cameras they should all be in a save

voltage range.

The AF500FTZ was the flagship until not all that long ago (pre P-TTL). While it looks pretty good within your constraints (no TTL or P-TTL functionality on K10D) it has some other nice features (F-5p sync port, SB, Slave, zoom head). I don't think it has classic non-TTL Auto mode though, so you would have to use manual at all times. I think these can still be found new for high prices not so different than the AF-540FGZ. I don't know whether you're going to find a good one in your price range or not. Don't know much about the third-party alternatives regarding manual control, etc.

Del:

The new Metz 48 works well with the K10 D but it might be a little outside your price range, I think it is $200 plus at the minute. It has a decent output, swivel/tilt, manual control, p-TTL, wireless, front and rear sync, uses 4 AA's, etc.

Don't think you would find one used yet.

LGH

Thank you all for the help. The 500FTZ looks like what I need, on paper at least, and I found some on KEH (Bargain $85), so this is what I went with. I'll report back if I find anything remarkable about the combination. The Metz 48 sounds basically perfect for this project, but I'll try the cheaper one first and swap if I have to. The world of flash photography really is a strange place, and there is precious little information floating around to learn it well. I think I will have to learn a lot through good old fashioned practice. Strobist has been very helpful, but it really focuses on one narrow method (albeit quite clearly and thoroughly). It seems like there is a need for more tutorials and general information on flash photography on the web. I know I would benefit from it a great deal after having focused on available light all these years.