package pricing - Albums DVD's etc. Advice needed

charlotte_webber

After doing a price survey of other wedding photographers in my area, it seems

there is a strong trend to have your package price include high resolution files

on DVD but no album. Some photographers offer a 10-25 percent discount towards

an album or a dollar amount credit towards an album.

I am wondering if this is something other photographers are seeing in their

markets...and I guess I am wondering if this is what the majority of brides want?

Thank you for your time.

Two thoughts on the topic of albums:

- If you're not offering albums, you're leaving money on the table - and you're leaving your brides without the single most important souvenier of their day - a stunning album with your images.

- People buy what they see. If you're not showing and selling albums in your consults, of course, they're not buying. The suggestion is that you have sample albums on hand that show off your images as well as help them picture their own album.

Of course, you may decide to offer albums ala carte rather than included in the package but....offer them to set you apart - and to delight your brides.

>>> I guess I am wondering if this is what the majority of brides want? <<<

IME, most Brides (and others who are purchasing a `one off` service) usually do not know what they want.

This has been so for a long time.

Years ago the Bride would often get advice as to what she `wanted` (prior to visiting the Photographer), from a well intentioned `friend` who was an `expert` and / or who had to justify her own previous decision.

It seems easier today, as the Bride can find out what she `wants`, by looking it up on the many web sites which will tell her.

WW

This year we decided NOT to offer any discounts. We are pretty booked up through August. Although there are a few openings left. Average wedding is $5000. Again the average. Some are much higher. We just did a job in Utah. That wedding came to $9800. They paid for everything, gas, hotel, not motel!, and $25 per meal per person. So the actual bill was around $13,000.

You can give away or discount if you wish, as some others do. But why?

If you wish to compete with other studios and feel your work is good, there are many ways to out sell other studios. It's not quantity, but emotion. If you want to see a father of the bride shed a few tears, take a photo of the bride before the wedding, all dressed up. Make a 5X7 print or bigger, beautifully framed, wrapped, and have her give it to her Dad after they walk down at the beginning of the service. This is what really sells. This makes you the best photographer around. This is only one example. You, I'm sure can come up with at least 100 special moment types of shots.

So take lots of those shots of flowers, the shoes, close-ups of the gartar, whatever you like to do. But add emotion. Your sales and bookings will increase a lot.

Thanks for the input.....

I offer a variety of different albums and my packaging has always reflected that. In the past few years I have offered the high res images as an additional purchase. While I'm not saying this isn't working for me, as a competitor in a crowded market once a year I try to compare my pricing with other photographers in my area that I feel are of the same caliber. ( many photographers now have their pricing listed on their websites )

What I am seeing is that most of these photographers are packaging without the album, as I mentioned above. I am wondering if this is happening in markets across the country? Is this a new trend? I got on the Knot and looked at the brides message board and a lot of them are talking bout making their own albums ( they mention using Candid2000 etc ) and of course the album they will be able to produce on't be as ggod as what they get from a professional, which is a point I would certainly make to a bride. I just wonder if having the digital negatives has become so important they are willing to pay for that upfront and add album later. So I just wondered if anyone else has seen this trend? Thanks

Thanks, I assume the answer to my (survey) question is:

1. by visiting their websites.

>>> I just wonder if having the digital negatives has become so important they are willing to pay for that upfront and add album later. So I just wondered if anyone else has seen this trend? <<<

Yes, I think it is a trend, but in only in one sector of the market.

There are still customers who will pay for the `full service` if you will.

These customers might, initially, be part of that group who believe they want to do it themselves: that is important to note, IMO.

IMO, addressing this:

>>> as a competitor in a crowded market once a year I try to compare my pricing with other photographers in my area that I feel are of the same calibre. ( many photographers now have their pricing listed on their websites ) What I am seeing is that most of these photographers are packaging without the album, as I mentioned above. <<<

one would do better concentrating on the initial sales meeting and the route getting the prospect to that meeting, rather than comparisons of pricing structures with competitors.

WW