cheap in good condition these days. But then ofcourse, they don't make it

anymore, so eventual repairs might be difficult to get? On the other hand, the

mamiya AFDII can also be gotten at a good price, and that's still in

production. Both systems will take digital backs (which I will probably never

be able to afford, but what the hell). So I can't decide, help please... I have

already considered the larger mamiya RB an RZ, but they are, well, too big for

my taste.

Hi Christian

What kind of photography are you going to do with it? Will it be handheld or on a tripod?

Just wondering.

Personally, speaking I am not a fan of the 645 format. I used to own the Contax (a

ludicrously expensive sysyem even second hand) but I was never really a fan and sold it.

I am much happier using 6x7. I use two systems for this: the RZ and the Pentax. I picked

up the Pentax recently for peanuts (honestly, stupidly low prices!!) and this is the system

that I would most happily recommend to you.

The Pentax 67 does have some disadvantages compared to a modular system like the RZ,

RB or Hassie (Polaroids backs, low synch speed, slow re-loading) but, in terms of image

quality and bangs per buck it can't be beaten.

Check out used prices for the Pentax, in particular the early version as opposed to the

67II, and I reckon you will find yourself a major bargain, IMHO.

Christian,

Andrew's words clarify why it's important to "try before you buy".

I have owned my Contax 645 since they were introduced and love it.

To me it is the Leica of MF. It fits my hands as though it were designed for them alone. The lenses are superb. The greatest reason for my going 645 was that I dislike intensely, square pictures, and the 645 transparencies fit all 6X6 projectors.

Anything bigger and projectors become a) rare and b) expensive.

There are third party digital backs available for the Contax and I don't think the price is different from that for Digi backs for the Mamiya

You should give the Mamiya a try though. Its ergonomics are not bad and the lenses have good reports from users.

I vote for Contax because I am using it and like it. I do not know much about the Mamiya.

The most important reason that I am using the Contax is for the 120mm lens. This lens has

excellent performance all the way from infinity to 1:1 magnification. It is optically better than

the Hasselblad 120mm lens. The second important reason is that you can use all lenses from

the Hasselblad V on the Contax. It is ironic that I am fit more Hasselblad lenses on my

Contax than my Hasselblad 501CM. As far as I can understand you could fit Hasselblad

lenses onto the Mamiya.