Which lens hood for the 50mm 1.8 AF?

janvanlaethem

I'm wondering which lens hood I should use with the 50mm f/1.8 AF. I found

plenty of information about the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D (recommended hood HR-2) or the

50mm f/1.8 AI and AI-S (recommended hood HS-11 or HR-4), but nothing

specifically about the early AF version I own. It has the characteristic thin

focus ring and plastic distance scale window of early AF lenses. It is referred

to as the "AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8s Original version (MK I)" on this webpage:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikkor/i

ndex7.htm

From what I've been able to find out so far, there are subtle differences in

the distance between the front lens element and the filter threads on most

Nikon standard lenses, so a lens hood designed for a specific 50mm lens may not

be the correct one for another 50mm lens.

Does anyone know what the correct lens hood is for this lens? Unfortunately I

misplaced the original instructions that came with the lens. My preference goes

towards a metal lens hood, rather than rubber hoods or metal snap on hoods.

Thanks

Jan

Standard lens hood for 50 mm "normal" length lens would be appropriate for the 50/1.8 lens on Nikon film cameras.

You did not tell us what camera you use, as that matters a lot.

You could do better to use a lens hood that is designed for short telephoto lenses in range of 75 mm, if the lens is to be used on a DSLR camera that has smaller sensor with crop factor (narrower angle of view) of 1.5X.

I have 50/1.4 lens with metal lens hood for 75 mm lens on film camera, mounted over a B+W F-Pro filer. There is no vignetting.

The lens and the filter, and the hood all have the same size 52 mm thread. It protects much better agains side lighting and reduces glare better than the original lens hood for the 50 mm lens that was intended for use with film cameras.

The filer I have is about 25 mm tall. It is made of solid aluminum. It is pretty thick and strong. I paid perhas around $15 on eBay, after long search for one like that.

No brand, no name, just 52 mm printed as on the picture.

In proportions to the lens, it could be much longer/taller than the Helipan ES 52 shown by Juanjo. After all it was designed for a 75 mm letephoto lens on film cameras.<div>00OTES-41804984.jpg.da0303b0da4a2eb7b695e41e72a62635.jpg</div>

<i>"From what I've been able to find out so far, there are subtle differences in the distance between the front lens element and the filter threads on most Nikon standard lenses, so a lens hood designed for a specific 50mm lens may not be the correct one for another 50mm lens."</i><P>

During the manual focus era, the difference in various hoods for the Nikon 50mm lenses was primarily for reverse mounting. The HS-6 (for the 50/2 AI) won't reverse mount on the 50/1.8 AI (HS-11) because the nose of the lens is shaped differently. But it works just fine pointed the other way.<P>

Any of the various hoods for the 50mm lenses should work fine on your early AF 50/1.8. If you want a metal snap-on hood, then the HS-11, HS-9 or HS-6 will all work (the HS-11 is probably the only one that will reverse). If you want a screw on metal hood, then you will probably need to go the generic route (lots available on eBay) as the original HN-x screw-on hoods for the early 50's are quite scarce. If you want a rubber hood, then the HR-2 will work fine.<P>

All the above applies to 35mm. If you are using this lens on a DX camera, then you can use a deeper hood.

I would bet any 50/1.8 and 50/2.0 Nikkors with recessed optics are virtually identical so long as the appropriate lens hoods are concerned. You should be able to use any Nikon or generic hood made for standard lenses.

I'm pretty sure that you know you can use longer hood when you use your AF 50/1.8 on a DSLR. I used to use HS-10 made for Ai(-s) 85/2.0 on my Ai-s 50/1.2 with D2H.

I sold 50/1.2 and D2H but still keep HS-10. :P

Additional note:

In general, Nikon has been conservative in deciding the length of round shape hood even if it is dedicated to a certain model (have you seen that almost meaninglessly short hood for 20/2.8?). Subtle difference you found shouldn't mater in this case.

As Akira said, the front element of the 50/1.8 AF is so deeply recessed a hood is not absolutely necessary other than in very difficult lighting. Or unless you use a filter on the lens.

I use an ordinary inexpensive plastic 52mm threaded hood when using filters on the 50/1.8 AF or 50/2 AI. Works fine.

Thanks for your answers so far and for the very informative pictures. The lens and lens hood combo would be used on film cameras. I'd rather have a metal screw in lens hood than a rubber one. If I can find the Heliopan hood Juanjo is referring to, that would be great. Otherwise I'll just get another brand, as long as it doesn't vignet and does a proper job at shading the lens, that's fine with me.

Hoya made some nice quality metal hoods in various sizes. Don't know if they're still available. I have a couple in 48mm and 49mm. They're knurled inside to reduce flare.

The no-name black plastic 52mm hood I use with my 50mm and 85mm Nikkors is good looking, not cheapo. The finish matches the plastic lens barrel of the 50/1.8 AF Nikkor. It's flocked inside with black fabric to minimize flare. Never any problems with it jamming, due to the plastic threads, unlike some aluminum hoods which can bind a bit against metal lens barrel threads.

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/rick_housh/camera/nikon/lenshoods.html>Here's</a> a handy site listing just about everything to do with Nikon hood sizes. It's helped me out on a few occasions where I've needed a hood that's out of production. I just matched very similar size for size and 'so far' no problems.

This hood is sold as Hakuba or Marumi brand in Japan and there should be the same ones out in the States or Europe. It is designed for standard lenses. Mine in the picture is mounted on the 28/2.0 for DSLR, so it should work on your 50/1.8 on film cameras.

This hood accepts 58mm lens cap on the front, which is very handy.<div>00OU7l-41820684.jpg.59805c4165924dd30e65d58f91c32c8d.jpg</div>

Jan, As others above have suggested various metal Nikon lens hoods, you may also wish to consider the HN-3 lens hood, originally designed for the 35mm lenses. It will work on a 50mm lens with filters. The best thing is that the 72mm clip-on lens cap will fit it.