NEC Multisync 2090UXi...which calibration kit ?

I am after some advice with regards of choosing the right calibration tool for

my NEC multisync 2090 UXi monitor.

First of all I would someone to clarify the following :

Is the SVII-KIT ? SpectraView Kit ? Colorimeter and Software available here in

UK ? If not, will the american version as advertised on NEC website work on

this monitor I purchased in UK ?

I am also considering alternatives such as the Eye One Display 2 by Xrite or

the newer Spyder3 elite Kit.

I have read several threads on few websites and still remain undecided which

kit will be the most suitable for this monitor.

Thanks everybody in advance for your advise.

I have the NEC SpectraView 2090, UK (that is, European) version. It came bundled with dedicated profiling/calibrating software. The software works with any of a wide range of colorimeters and spectrophotometers - I believe much of the interface of these devices is standard anyhow. I bought a Monaco (rebadged DTP-94) colorimeter with it, and had no difficulty setting it up. What's special about this is that it involves loading the internal LUT. Any monitor can be profiled/calibrated using the graphics card LUT, but this can be a very bad idea with an LCD monitor because of the 8-bit to 8-bit maps involved - it's like trying to do colour adjustments on a JPEG.

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that monitors sold as SpectraView in the US and in Europe are physically different, and that the European version has hardware built in that allows the dedicated profiling software to recognise it as a SV and access the internal LUT. Even if you could get the US software, you might find it did not work on a European SV.

It appears from your post that your monitor is not a SV, just a standard Multisync 2090. I do not know if the US and European models of that monitor are physically different, but I would not be surprised if NEC had completely locked out direct access to the LUT on the European Multisync (it does have one, and the monitor's controls use it), since access is possible only through the dedicated software on the European SV. So even if you could get the US SV II software, or borrow a copy of the software bundled with the SV monitor in Europe, it might well not do you any good.

Manufacturers would do well to realise that crippling hardware so that users cannot access capabilities that are known to be there is no way to make friends.

Thanks for your answer Robin.

Correct, I have a standard NEC Multisync 2090 UXi

Accordingly to someone else thread I am just reading on another website, It appears the NEC USA SVII software will only works on specific monitors revisions.(probably the US revisions only), therefore you maybe well right.

I had a re-thinking about all this and I am now orientated in purchasing a Eye-one dispaly 2 kit.

It seems the most widely used calibration kit out there which can satisfactory results, obviously not at same levels such as the SV.

<p>I have the NEC 2490UXI monitor which I bought in Jan 08. I already had Eye One Display 2 which I bought a year ago. I bought on line the SVII software online from NEC?s website soon after the getting the 2490. </br></br>

I prefer using the SVII software than the one that came with Eye1. I find it much easier to use when profiling my LCD panel. All the settings, color temp, brightness and contrast are done by SVII. With Eye1 it was a manual process, using you eyes and changing the setting until they fell within the range Eye1 wanted. </br></br>

The only thing that is better with Eye1 than SVII, the interface is looks better, if that means anything. </br></br>

If you own an NEC monitor that can use SVII, I think you should go with the SVII. But Eye1 and the software that came with it is still an outstanding product. </br></br>

Bill</br>

<a href=http://www.WilliamBert.com>William Bert Photography</a></br>

</p>