D300 Question

Just a caveat to what Shun stated -- all NIKON lenses that work on the D50 work on the D300.

If you have third party lenses, you may want to check for sure. Don't know if it's still an issue these days, but Sigma used to have compatibility issues with new DSLR's.

Example: some Sigma 10-20mm lenses had problems with the D200 (could not use AF-ON button to autofocus), and had to be sent to Sigma to be upgraded for compatibility.

Keith

The D50 still makes great pictures.

You might want to spend your money on something other than a pro grade DX body.

What lenses do you currently own? If your lens inventory is very basic I would suggest

fleshing out that part of your kit. Do you already have a good: fast mid zoom (17-50

f/2.8), super wide zoom (12-24mm), long zoom (80-200mm), macro, and a portrait

prime? Or a collection of primes that cover these bases? How about an external flash

and/or SU-800 flash controller? What about a good tripod? ($200 and up).

I lust after a D300 as well but I have most of the above items plus several others, plus a

bunch of 35mm film gear and a Nikon CoolScan.

It's always a balance. I've owned (in addition to numerous Nikon film bodies) a D70s, a D200

and now a D300. In my opinion, there's no comparison between the D300 and the others. It's

about as close as you can get right now to a digital F100, without a full frame sensor.

Personally, I'd never try to dissuade any competent photographer from buying a D300... IF

they already have good glass. That's really the key. If you have lenses you really like, upgrade

the body. If you're working with low to mid grade glass, upgrade that first and hold off on

the new body. Good glass will last you for years and many body upgrades. A D300, as cool as

it is, will be outdated within the next two years.

I believe the warning above by Keith Leonin is somewhat obsolete. There was indeed an issue in the past where some Sigma HSM lenses would not activate their focus motor when the AF-On button on the Nikon body was pressed. FYI--HSM is Sigma's version of Nikon's SWM, aka AF-S.

I know from talking with Sigma Tech Support and my own subsequent experience that updating the firmware in my D200 fixed the problem. If that had not worked Sigma offered to update the firmware in the lens. Updating the lens' firmware requires a roundtrip to a Sigma service center so I opted to update the firmware in my D200 myself. It was very easy (Thank you, Nikon engineering staff) and fixed the problem with no issues or drama of any kind.

If anyone here still suffers from this problem I urge you to take the time to update your camera's firmware. On the D200, anyway, it's a snap.