Clogged Epson Stylus Photo 820 nozzles

Hi,

I'm having a persistent issue with the nozzles on my Stylus Photo

820. Even though it gets used often, the nozzles for the black and

darker blue inks keep getting clogged - and the darker blue is really hard to unclog, even with the nozzle cleaning utility. Any

suggestions from other Epson users to avoid this?

Thanks in advance,

Keeping the printer covered is really important. That keeps dust and junk from getting down in there. I just finally cleared a really nasty clog on the black print head on my 820. I took a piece of printer paper and lightly sprayed it with windex. I put it in the paper with a dry piece behind it and I ran the nozzle check. I then ran the cleaning cycle and viola! It was clear. See, windex can fix anything! ; )

Good thing I asked about the 409 before using it. Thanks again, Mark.

Now, a small anecdote about Epson Technical Support. Since my Stylus Photo 820 was only a month old, I decided to take it to their Service Center - which happens to be about 1km from here - so that they could check if there was something wrong with the printing heads. Being a pessimist about customer service I expected evasives, denial and finally having to leave the printer there so that they could take two weeks to examine it.

The guy at the Epson shop was pretty straightforward. He explained that the first cartridges are often lost to cleaning the printing heads, and that things should be normal after these. He ran he cleaning cycle a couple of times, didn't give me time to complain about having to use ink as a cleaning supply and threw my cartridges away, slapped some new ones on, gave me the printer and told me to go back it the problem persisted with these new ones.

Overall, a great customer service experience. Can't tell if it will translate to your local service center, but Epson managed to secure me as a happy customer by simply taking care of the problem.

PS: I'll drop a note here if I do try the Windex later on, Scott.

I have access to 3 different Epson printers between home and work and all of the heads are prone to clogging. When the Epson 980 is turned on each morning at work, it takes more than 5 minutes for the printer to clean itself before printing its first print. It's noisy too. I'm surprised that HP hasn't used this common Epson short-coming to promote its own printers.

• 8 months later...
My 820 didn't spit a drop of ink last night. I ran over a dozen cleaning cycles and not a drop. Guess I'll call Epson tech support and send that one out. I ran out a bought a new one today. The new one isn't printing clearly either. I run the test and the black and darker red color won't print solidly. ARRRRGH!! I tried the Windex thing, no dice. When this printer works well it really works well but right now, I'm a raging maniac. All I wanted to do was print a 5 x 7 for a friend's birthday.... I need a beer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

I've had my Epson 820 for a couple years now and have been very satisfied. I'll go maybe two weeks at the most without printing and have not had any trouble with severe clogging.......until now. I had just finished printing about a dozen 8x10's with great success. When I changed the cartridges it got BADLY clogged with only three colors printing. I have been using the online compatible inks. I tried some of the interesting cleaning methods found here, but no luck. I ran the cleaning session many times. I'm wondering if the cartridge itself could have been faulty?

Jeff

Jeffrey,

It could well be. In my experience, it's best to run the cleaning process just a couple of times and then give it a "cool down" period of about 20-30 minutes. I get better results cleaning the nozzles this way than with continuos cleaning processes, to less ink expense as well.

Ricardo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A suggestion for those not faint of heart -

I had tried everything to remedy similar problems with my Epson Photo 870 to no

avail. Finally, out of desperation, (and figuring I had nothing to lose since I couldn't

get a decent print out of it anyway), I took the upper shroud off of the thing, removed

the print head from the carriage assembly (being very careful not to stress the ribbon

connector), and just spent some time with a magnifying glass carefully cleaning

chunks of ink-encrusted fuzz, lint, and dust off of the bottoim of the head and from

the paper path. I then flushed the print head out over a rag using an applicator bottle

and cleaning solution form fixyorownprinter.com. I reassembled the thing with a

prayer and hooked it back up to my Mac, installed new cartridges, and it's been

printing like a new one since.

2 things I learned in the process -

1. Keep a dust cover on the printer when not in use

2. Turn the printer off when not in use to keep the head parked in the "Sealed"

position (it parks on a pad that keeps the nozzles from being exposed to the air).

This helps to keep it from drying out.

• 1 year later...

I have a really weird problem with my Stylus Photo 820. For 2 years it was printing just great, and all of a sudden it starts printing weird. Starts printing fine at the beginning and then going without yellow, so I have about 1/20 of the whole picture in correct colors, the rest is without yellow. Tried many times cleaning using different methods, nothing helps.

Any ideas? I'm about to through away.

• 1 year later...