Polizei-Rolleicord?

I just got this interesting Rolleicord Ia, with serial number 629327.

It has a 3,5/75 Triotar instead of the 4,5.

This is the only Rolleicord I have seen with "Franke & Heidecke"

under the CAST nameplate.

The viewing hood is the standard type for the Ia, type 3.

The only match in Prochnows "Rollei Report 1" is the Polizei

Rolleicord (PR 095), made from 1939 in appr. 500 examples.<div>00DAQH-25093884.jpg.b204e26fe9ed5879d1623b70d0a9c15d.jpg</div>

Rolleicord was a cheaper alternative to the Rolleiflex, and the Ia was cheaper than the II. They also preferred the faster 3,5 lens, so one can say that the Polizei Rolleicord is a mix between the Ia and the II.

I don't know, but maybe the sportsfinder was important too.

An important rivet on the viewfinder is missing, so I will try to fix that. Some of the mirror silvering is gone, but I'm not sure if I should change the mirror or having it resilvered. Maybe a collector should prefer it to have the original mirror/silver?

The Rolleiflex Old Standard has a sport finder too and generally a f/3.5 Tessar by the time the Ia came out.

The sport finder on the Old Standard is the cross frame on the top of the viewfinder hood. There is a little mirror that you use to align to your eye.

Patric,

you're a real Rollei-nut... ;-) Whether you should re-silver or change the mirror depends on if you are supposed to use it or if it's just a showcase trophy? A collector, I think, would rather have it as it is, in its original condition.

If my memory serves me well, there has been a couple of threads regarding resilvering/changing mirrors lately, have a look further down the list of subjects.

Good luck,

Jimi

IF you are concerned about the value of the original mirror, you can always remove it and set it aside in a safe place.

I would replace it. Marvin from Hong Kong (redleica1 on ebay) sells new mirrors for $20 + $6 shipping anywhere in the world. I can report on the quality of his mirror after the new one arrives for the Old Standard I am currently overhauling.

Hmm, maybe I should leave the mirror alone. After all, I bought it just because it's a rare model, not to use it. I will repair the viewing hood though, so it opens and closes as it should. Also clean the shutter from dired grease. The rim is pretty stiff.

I love Rolleis, but this is the first Rollei I have bought for a couple of years now.

I envy the guy on the Rollei Users Group that luckily bought a Rolleiflex Prototype from 1928! Only one still existing example was known before. :-)

Excellent buy Patric! A rare camera indeed!

My best buy among my Rolleiflexes, in mint condition concerning the paint, and the chrome; was the 1939-1941 Rolleiflex Standard New (Neu), the "super" Rolleicord with just 8,340 units produced... (Claus Prochnow). Great picture taker!