lens recomendation

graybeard

I am looking to expand my lens selection with out over duplicating. My camera is a

5d , my lens are: ef16-35f 2.8L II,ef24-70 f2.8L,ts 24 f3.5L , ef50 f1.2 L,and

ef 200 f2.8 II, would like to do more portraits. I am considering the TS 90 ,the

ef 85 f1.2, ef 24-105, and ef 135 f2.0 Your input would be appreciated .

For portraits the 85 and 135 can't be beat. I prefer the 85 and have that one myself. It is truly a great lens. I think the 135 is my next one. The 24-105 you mention is one I would only get if you want to travel so that doesn't bring a lot new to the table for you.

Hmmm....Colin is right. You should decide if you want the better versatility of a zoom or better IQ/DOF control of the primes. The difference between the 85 f/1.2 and the 70-200 f/2.8 in terms of the look of your portraits if you want the shallow DOF are miles away though. Look at the review of the 85mm f/1.2 for examples on this site.

TS 90, yes, I understand this choice I have pondered it a lot too, I think the TS 90 is really specialized for portraiture and portraiture which allows adequate set up time: when there is money available I do believe I will get this lens, but it is low down on my list at this time.

EF 85 f1.2,: on a 5D a fraction too short for my liking, generally, but ACE indoors, I have the more economical 85F1.8 and it is great on the 5D inside, where I do not have much room.

EF 24-105F4LIS: Not in my book, too slow, the IS for ME is not value added for portraiture: it might be for you.

EF 135F2L: on a 5D, seriously the honey of them all, IMO.

(mentioned 70 to 200F2.8L (IS or not, either version): I bought this zoom before the 135L (which is still on my `to buy` list): as you already have a 200F2.8L, then I understand the logic of thinking 85 or 135, rather than a zoom: but if the zoom is attractive to you, then the 70 to 200 is much better choice than the 24 to 105, IMO.

WW