Can I use new Voigtlander lenses on D40x

rjpillers

Cosina/Voigtlander has recently come out with two interesting lenses, the SLII

40mm and 58mm. They're manual focus lenses with CPU chips that allow metering on

Nikon DSLRs.

I'm wondering if anyone here on photo.net has tried one of these lenses on their

D40/40x/60 and if so, what you think. I have Voigtlander lenses for my film

rangefinder camera and find the lenses to be outstanding, both in build and

image quality.

Also, does anyone know if these new Voigtlander lenses allow use of the

D40/40x/60 meter? As you know these bodies' meters only work with AF, AF-S, or

AF-I type lenses. The advertising for the Voigtlander lenses (see

cameraquest.com) seems to suggest that the CPU chip on these lenses will allow

use of the meter, but its not clear if they mean the D40/40x/60 bodies are

compatible as well.

By the way, if you haven't already tried it, the D40/40x/60 are really cool "old

school" cameras when you use an old pre-AI, AI, or AIS lens. It takes you back

to the world of all-manual everything. Kind of nice to be thinking again about

exposure and focusing. And the lenses are CHEAP on the used market. :-)

<i>As you know these bodies' meters only work with AF, AF-S, or AF-I type lens -- Jamie.</i>

<p><p>

You forgot "AI-P" lenses such as the 45mm and 500mm. In essence, the CV lenses are "AIP lenses" since they are chipped, so which allows metering with the D40. So, the answer is yes.

Not only will they work and meter, but being manual focusing lenses, the manual focusing is much smoother than to focus manually with most AF lenses. The D60 plus the Voigtländer 58mm f/1.4 looks like a really sweet combination, particularly if the focusing screen is replaced by a screen with microprism and split screen. I'm very tempted :)

I would say no with the newer lenses (cosina building). The minimum aperture and focal

lengths have to be programmed and manually set, and this is available on the D200, D300,

D2 and D3. In addition, no metering with flash. I upgraded from D80 to D200 because I

wanted to use Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses. I do not know about the older lenses, if they

worked on older Nikon, they may work on new ones. Tell me if I am wrong.

Serge,

You are wrong. The two new Voigtl䮤er lenses (built by Cosina), the 58mm f/1.4 and 40mm f/2.0 pancake, do both have a cpu chip installed that will make them meter with any Nikon DSLR, just like an AF, AF-I or AF-S lens.

The Zeiss lenses, that are also built by Cosina, do not have this chip. I believe that is a choice made by Zeiss, not by Cosina.

Yes, I use the 58/1.4 on my D40. Because these lenses are chipped, you have full metering capability, just like Nikon's AI-P lenses...namely the 45/2.8.

<p>

I've been planning to write a mini review on this lens but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The 58/1.4 is well built, silky focus and just a peach to use. I do have the Katzeye screen installed and that makes a big difference.

<p>

Here is one sample shot. Hopefully, I'll have a lot more to show in a month or so.<div>00OLWh-41604784.jpg.b4d2fdca72e2b0340f773cbb175ce82e.jpg</div>

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've been having a great time with my new D40x and a couple of old Nikkors (50/2 and 28/2.8). This combination of manual focus and the lightweight D40x body feels "right"... like back when I had my Pentax OM-1 in college, but without the film loading hassle! :-)

I'm looking forward to getting one of the Voigtlanders so that I can try out the D40x meter. And I've ordered a KatzEye screen to help out with the focusing. Now... if Cosina would just come out with something like a 24mm or 28mm lens... that would be sweet.