NIKKOR AF35MM F/2.0 ON D300

david_achille

Hi all,

I currently have a Nikon system with a D300 togehter with 2 film bodies(N80

and F65) with 4 Tamrons(17-50mm,28-75,90mm DI Macro, 70-300mm DI LD, 1 Tokina

DX(12-24 F/4) and a Nikon 55-200mm VR.

i would like your advice on the choice of a good prime for all purpose use

(light and easy to handle) and I going for the Nikkor 35mm F/2.0D.

I do not want to buy a DX lense due to the uncertainty of the DX future.

Thanks

David

Beau Bassin

Mauritius

I don't think the DX future is uncertain. Nikon will produce DX cameras for entry and mid-

level cameras for a long time. Eventually FF sensors may get cheap enough to push DX

sensor down to entry-level cameras only. But that appears to be a number of years away.

Also note that Nikon supports DX lenses on the D3, though I doubt that many people would

choose to use DX lenses on a D3.

David, I also have a D300 and a few of your current lenses. Funny, I was looking at the 35mm f/2 just yesterday.

I used to have the 50mm f/1.8, a great lens but the focal length is just a bit too long for me shooting digital. The 35mm fits in with my kind of photography much better.

I am sure I will get one of the 35's, maybe the f/2 or possibly the older f/1.4 AIS. IMO it is an outstanding prime, perfect for digital.

And I echo the others about DX. There is no uncertainty about its future. DX will be around long after I am gone.

I suspect as the sensors become more refined it is more likely new FX lens production will cease. Once noise issues are addressed (and they will be) there will be no need for what we know as "full frame". That is an arbitrary size established when 35mm cameras were introduced. I believe Nikon introduced the D3 only because it were receiving a certain amount of heat because Canon had one and it didn't.

Dave, I considered the 28mm f/2.8 AIS. Bjorn rates it a 5 on the D2X, as good as it gets.

However, he also gave a 5 rating to the 35mm f/2 AIS, adding that "the corner quality isn't outstanding" on the newer D version.

I figure I can almost always take a couple steps back when using the 35mm lens but I can't make the 28mm lens any faster. Bottom line, both are great lenses. No losers here.

The 35mm f2 with a full frame (Nikon F6) was my favorite film rig. It's a great lens, light,

and fast. I wouldn't worry about corner softness on any of the primes with a DX sensor

like the D300...it won't see it.

FWIW, when I got a D300 to replace my F6 combo, I bought a Nikkor 24mm f2.8, and I'm

enjoying the same field of view. The half-stop of speed difference seems to be a wash

with the 800 ISO of the D300.

Happy shooting.

David Manning.

Years ago, I had the 35mm f/2.0 AF for my introduction to AF. That lens failed when the aperture blades became gummed up, so I went back to my manual focus version, the f/1.4 AIS.

I now have a D40, and while I have every manual focus AI / AIS Nikkor from 20mm to 300mm, I need an auto-focus lens for metering with my camera. I dug out the 35mm f/2.0, mounted it and shot a whole series at f/2.0 (the only f-stop that would work). The results were so good that I went out and bought a brand new one. This lens has been on my camera for thousands of photos now, and it makes for a nice compact body / lens combo that delivers great images.

This lens offers good sharpness and contrast, even wide open. It allows selective focus or deep focus when needed. The lens focuses quickly, and for me of the D40, manual focus via the electonic rangefinder is fast and sure. This is one more vote, based on experience for the 35mm f/2.0 AF as a nice prime lens for a digital Nikon.<div>00ONaw-41666884.JPG.89db87f1d5e30abc0a2ecec6458acdce.JPG</div>

Please allow me to post just one more example from the 35mm f/2.0 AF Nikkor. I just shot this about two hours ago, while eating lunch. I have my DSLR with me as often as I can, and the small 35mm lens makes it a size that I can tolerate. In this mexican restaurant, I liked the colorful wall paintings, but even more so the terrific waitress that had served me. After paying the bill, I asked if I could shoot her portrait, and she agreed.

This is at f/2.0 and 1/20th of a second with only the light of the front facing window 30 feet away. An aperture of f/2.8 or slower would not have worked. flash would have ruined the mood. A darker lens would have made manual focus impossible. A faster lens, such as a 50mm f/1.4 may have worked, but with less DOF, it would make the environmental elelments less distinct. In other words, the 35mm f/2.0 AF Nikkor was the perfect lens for me in this situation.<div>00ONrz-41674184.JPG.fc3503a9b195d15e631e8300c0ab7a29.JPG</div>