Camera Selection Dilemma

mountainvisions

You could always shoot .PEF instead of .DNG and convert them later on the PC. The

camera will losslessly compress the .PEF files but not .DNG; giving you quite a few more

shots/card. If you switch to .PEF the camera will still show the same number of shots/card

but as you start taking shots you'll see it that the counter won't drop with every shot. I

can't remember just how many more shots you get per card but it's significant.

Sorry if you already knew that, I'm sure there are plenty reading who don't though.

Alan

Thanks Alan..I know that, but it's another step (the conversion). For a 10 day trip off the grid I think it would be an option but for 3 days probably easier to take an extra 4GB. I just ordered a 4GB Extreme III with guaranteed 20MB/s write speed. So in theory it's faster than my 150X 2GB cards anyway. Flash cost seemed to have stabilized so I've been hesitant to buy more. Otherwise, it makes sense to have 10-20GB anyway.

Scot, I'm actually a member of the ACC and had to pass on the rockies section camp trip in 2006 because of the ACL tear. Great value too, $500 plus airfare to stay at Lake Ohara in Yoho for a week. Damn!!! Blew that one! Lots of good options, and the Lake Ohara (Elizabeth Parker Hut) is the cushiest in the Rockies with a bus door to door during the summer, propane cooking, well appointed kitchen.

Aahhhh!!!!

On the wide end, I agree for on route shooting, a 16mm (24mm equiv) is ideal. Or even a 14mm (20-21mm) but they tend to be a bit too wide for the general stuff, unless you are in a gully or a ravine where the shooting is tight. I'm hoping to end the season with a few technical ascents in the Presidentials. Nothing hard, just some NEI 2-3 gullies which I'd love to bring a few shots back from.

Justin, something to look forward to: Pentax recently added a DA 15mm Limited to their roadmap. I guess I would also requested 16mm but I don't think we need to nitpick the difference.

Also, I would typically stick with 2GB cards but in your case since you're trying to avoid changing cards in the rough conditions, I can see some benefit to the 4GB card.

Yes!!!! I bet it's expensive, time to start putting some cash away for it.

But you are correct. 15-16mm-17mm prime are all ok. Just something that gets me closer to that 24mm FF.

I'm with you on the 2GB cards. I do prefer only having 123 shots per card normally, and the SDHC cards are typically slower. 1GB is too small though.

I found the 4GB Sandisk Extreme III for $50 so I'm thinking it's the perfect card for winter 200 images is a lot of eggs in a basket but still not 8 or 16GB...up until a few weeks ago I was thrilled with 2GB unless I was in artic then I'm sure I'd probably load a 32GB CF and cross my fingers.

The Extremes have very few negative reviews compared to other brands, almost none actually. Of course I've yet to have a corrupt or failed card so I'm thinking a lot of it is user error. Maybe I'm just lucky.