I need some advice from you Guys.. I am going to get one D300 shortly. At

present I have D200 and the following lenses

1. 80-200mm AF-Ed-D F2.8

2.24-120mm AfS-Vr 3.5-4.6

3.Macro 105mm /f2.8 VR-N

4. 300mm AF-S f/4

5. 17-55 mm AF-f/2.8 along with SB800

Can you suggest what other lense/assesories I can buy woth D 300? Iam going to

be Pro shortly and I am building up the equipment now.

Thank you in advance

"Can you suggest what other lense/assesories I can buy woth D 300?"

That really depends on what you like to shoot. There are some lenses that are wider and many that are longer.

You might want to consider more CF cards because the files are larger. Also, think about a better strap. Maybe it's just me but I have never been a fan of the ones that Nikon includes with the cameras.

Also, maybe more lighting and a new bag?

Thangavelu, if you are turning pro shortly, could you explain what will be your specialty, e.g. wedding, product, news, portrait ...?

I would suggest thinking about which focal lengths are missing among your tools. One item that seems to jump out is a wide zoom, such as a 12-24 or 10-20 type.

Going "pro?" "Pro" what? I assume you mean you're going to be a pro penguin photographer in Antarctica? For that you'll find a 70-200mm VR f2.8 lens to be very useful. The VR really works, which should help cancel the wind shaking you some. You can get close to penguins so you really don't need anythig longer. Don't use alkaline batteries in the flash since they don't work well in the cold. I use NiMH where I am and they still fire 100% even after sitting out for hours in below zero temps. Not sure why you would keep the 24-130mm VR. Most the pro photographers I've talked with think it's too slow. Maybe it will work quite well for you outdoors photo'ing penguins. At least in the summer months when the sun is visible. I would skip the single focal length lenses such f1.8, f1.4 etc. They take up a lot of room in your bag, weigh you down, and slow you down when action gets hot. With the high ISO performance of today's cameras I honestly believe they are obsolete for 95% of us.

One thing you might consider thinking about is this. I personally would never post a message on the internet asking what lenses I need. Everyone has different needs and biases. Also it's hard to give a really complete idea of what your needs are. I am just assuming you are a pro penguin photographer, since you didn't give me any other clues. The way that I decide what gear to buy is to carefully look at my photos, and analyze them. While I'm out taking photos, I also think about what kinds of images I want to make and what gear I need to do that. I generally spend a couple of months thinking very carefully about it before I EVER buy anything. For example, if I had your selection of camera gear and wanted to photo pengiun weddings, the very first thing I'd start looking into is NOT a new camera, but rather pro class lights. That's something you very clearly don't have, and LIGHTS are the whole thing for many kinds of photography, NOT the camera.

Kent in SD

Stick with what you have gear-wise. Don't even buy lights - a good suggestion, but too soon. Buy some business planning books and software. Use them to write a business plan. Then hire an accountant and a lawyer to help you fine-tune it and get your business set up correctly - accounting software, legal forms, etc.

Your business plan will help to dictate what gear you need, and when you can afford to purchase it. What you buy should not be "the best gear", it should be the best gear for YOUR business and YOUR workflow. If you're a pro, you will need to buy gear for reasons that equal higher profits, not simply for gear-lust.

The first thing you need to "go pro" is not so-called "pro gear". It's professionalism. Plan ahead, have a clear course of action, and cover your butt both legally and financially. Only buy a piece of gear now if it is absolutely clear that you will be unable to profit in your chosen field without it. The rest of the gear can wait until you are profitable.

Frankly, if you're asking this question, I fear you're not prepared to be a professional in any genre, unless it's as a professional assistant to someone else who is going to teach you the ropes of running a successful business.

But if you really are going solo, please don't blow all your money on gear and have none left for the essentials any small business needs. Think of yourself as a business owner first, and a photographer second.

Thanks for all your advice. Yeah I need to look at the professional way and not the gear.

Mr.Shun My main ares is Nature, close ups, people, candid shots, studio portraits, products and architecture . Shall I dispose 80-200 and go for 70-200 VR and another 12-24 wide?

You have too wide a focus, I think. Not sure there's any money to be made in "nature," and it generally takes the most expensive gear. When you say "people," we are back to a discussion of pro level lighting, and you don't have it. You mention studio portraits. Next time you're at your local Walmart, take a peek inside their portrait cubby. They have more money in lights and backdrops than what a D300 would cost. That should tell you something. Product shots? Again, you are talking lighting, not camera. For product shots a Nikon 85mm PC lens would do more for you than the 70-200mm VR. I have that lens and also the older 28mm PC. The 28mm PC is far more useful than the 70-200mm VR for architecture. For interiors a Sigma 10-20mm works well. Now that you've at least given some idea of what you mean, here's some ideas: $1,500 worth of studio lighting, $500 photo backdrops, sell the 24-120mm VR and replace with Sigma 10-20mm, possibly add new 24mm PC or 85mm PC lens in the future. And, skip the nature photography to concentrate on images that have a chance at making money. Don't forget money for insurance, advertising, small business software, studio rent, etc., etc. Lighting is easily your biggest need but you don't appear to be aware of that yet.

Kent in SD