advise required.

daniel_kann

Hi Everyone,

Im a newie trying to expand my knowledge... I dont have any experience in

studio lighting but I've been wanting to learn for a long time and now is the

time :p

I want to set up a studio @ home (small space) but portable to take to

location (I have family around the globe ;)). (Max 6 people)

I want something which can be expandable, good quality and last many many

years.

Originaly I thought about the Bowen Gemini 1500 (3x500) is it worth 2000 usd /

? 1000 ? can you expand this kit? wireless integrated?

Some limitations are money and electricity...

? 1000 + -

220-240 or 110-240

Any help would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!!

Hermann

The three head kit might be overkill - better to get the 2 head kit and only add to it as you really feel the need; the cash saved can be better used for backgrounds and the like.

Those heads would probably last you 20 years or more, the Bowens 's' mount means modifiers will be widely available for many, many years to come and if you need to shoot independent of mains power there is the 'Travelpack' to consider which gives battery power for 2 heads.

I can't comment on the use abroad, but they are rated at 190-240v 50hz

I use hensel integra pro 500ws and it is plenty of power for my apartment. I bought 3 heads hensel kit but use 2 heads most of the time, sometimes just 1. 2 kit will be good for now and with the 2 hensel integra kit you also get a carrying bag that actually fit for 3 heads. it worked for 110-240 V.

I would look at ebay for used hensel kit. They are worth the money. I have used hensel since 1994. maybe I am biased but from 2 heads that I use to have 1 of them still flashes right now. the other just died years ago and too expensive to fix. I replaced them with visatec kit, the lower level broncolor brand. And it gave problem on the third year I use them. The switch was broken , then the lamp burn out (expected after using it often). Then I sold it and jsut recently went with hensel integra pro. I a think hensel is underrated in US, since supply also a problem. I you can get used hensel integra pro 2 kit for the same cost of alien bees new, go with hensel.

if you got the money get the plus model, it will save you money in the future from buying wireless trigger. then again if you have the money to spend I will recommend profoto or broncolor.

Herman,

I find it's best to work on the 'KISS' principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

The best way to get to grips with studio lighting is to use just one head initially and use a reflector to fill in the shadows, the spill from that light will often be plenty to light your background; only when you are confident of what you can and can't do with that set-up do you need to introduce your second light, which you can then choose to use for whatever purpose is needed for a particular subject, whether that be background, hair-light, fill or whatever.

Eventually I think you will find that two strobes such as the Gemini's with a couple of reflectors will cover the vast majority of work. If you then do need extra light for a particular task you can use a camera flash for that (I see from your other posts you are also getting an SB600?) or a much lower powered (and therefore cheaper) unit.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'easy to expand' - if you mean adding softboxes, snoots, barn doors etc then yes - Bowens and Elinchrom are the two most widely used systems in the UK by far. If you mean to add more heads later, then the answer is still yes; for instance if you find you need more power for larger groups, you could buy say a GM750 which would then be your main light, or for other regular tasks you might add a 250ws head; the point is to buy the extra head(s) only when you find you really need them. I have got by with 2 heads only for 20 years or so, just adding small flashguns or reflectors when and as required.

Don't forget to budget for a flash meter - yes you can get away without one for digital but it is so useful, and you will certainly want one in the longer term - also you might want to add a radio trigger eg Elinchrom Skyport (recommended), or Pocketwizard (horribly overpriced in UK!).

One other thing; the difference in price between the 2 and 3 head standard kits is 475 pounds at Warehouse Express; to add an extra GM500 head (on it's own) is just ?359.

For 475 quid you could buy a Skyport set (115) plus a Seconic meter L-308 (125) and still have 240 quid for backgrounds etc (or even a 250ws head)!