Mamiya 7 II not working

tara_ratliff

I was shooting on Saturday and after loading my last roll of film my camera stopped working. I figured the

battery died so I bought a new one, but it still doesn't work. The light meter won't come one and it won't

take a picture or advance. Is there something I could have possibly done when I loaded it or something

simple that could have happened?

Any time I have a battery issue I always check and clean the battery contacts in the camera. An eraser usually works or you could use a fine emery paper. In many cases, the contacts look ok, but they have a thin layer of oxidation preventing proper contact. If that doesn't work, you'll need the Mamiya experts!

Probably not your problem at the moment, but the contacts between lens and body are also sensitive to cleanliness. I was sure that my lens needed repair, and I could see no lack of cleanliness, but careful cleaning with an eraser did the trick. Don't use anything abrasive.

Your battery is around the right way, i suppose?

• 3 months later...

I know this is a late response, but I recently had a very similar problem which had me tearing my hair out. I found that my battery had indeed died and replaced it but it still didn't work. Eventually I took my camera to the Mamiya repair center in Tokyo (that is where I happen to live right now).

They showed me the difference between the positive terminal design of my previous battery (Sanyo) and the one I had replaced it with (Panasonic). They are different and the bottom line is that the old one worked and the replacement didn't. They also gave me a new battery cover that works with the Panasonic battery. The cover is silver and my body is black but what the heck! I don't know if the battery cover design has changed over time, but in any event it solved my problem and it was obvious that they were well aware of the issue.

Geoff