Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

soonerpa

Except the plasic lens mount, everything is good about it. The lens has a switch that prevents lens "creeping", that 3 times more expensive replacement lens does not have and people complained about it many times.

It has 3 ED, 3 Aspherical, and a close focus optical correction elements, so it allows near macro photography. It has focus limit switch helping to focus a bit faster, but is not as fast as any AF-S lens. It is Nikon quality sharp lens, and contrary to some it is not made by Tamron.

Light weight, low cost, relatively inexpensive, good for travel.

42 mm equivalent in 35 mm world is wide enough for many things, expcet closed quarters and special effects. Very good for portrait lens, even photography, and even at 5.6/200 gives some background separation. It gives better pictures than the kit lens, but may require a bit of photographer's experience if in low light situation.

I replaced my kit lens that came with D70 with this lens, and made some 25,000 great pictures with D70.

The lens works great on DX cameras like D70, utilizing the "sweet spot".

Funny as it can sound, this lens was announced as "discontinued" on Nikon's site perhaps 2 years ago or so (?), but it came back and is available in many places. It will find many users on D3 and future FX sensor cameras yet to come from Nikon, as well as on DX.

<i>"I guess I misunderstood whether it could be used on the DX format."

</i><P>

<b>ANY</b> Nikon autofocus lens, except for the very rare 80mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/3.5 for the F3AF, can be used on <b>ANY</b> Nikon DX format DSLR. That includes the D40/D40x/D60 (with autofocus limitations for non AF-S lenses).<P>

The only "limits" that you will encounter are the early non-D lenses. You'll lose 3D matrix metering (but will still have plain 2-D matrix metering) and 3D flash metering. Neither "limit" is significant, or for that matter even noticeable in most circumstances.

I had this lens for about 3 years and used on D70 -- It's a FABULOUS lens esp. considering its low cost, small size and light weight. The only reason I got rid of it was because I got an 18-200mm zoom (sigma). If you have wide angle covered, then this would be a great walk-around lens.

On DX format this would be = 42-300mm. Yeah, it would be nice if it were a little wider on the wide end, but a Nikon 18-200 would cost 3 times as much.

One overlooked feature of this lens is its close focusing capability.

I have looked into the Nikkor 18-200 as well, even though I have the Sigma 10-20 for the wider angle.

But I keep reading about this incredible distortion you get all along the range of the 18-200 and I dont have software to correct for that.

I cant afford 400$ Photoshop on top of the lens price itself to be correcting for the distortion I keep reading about.