Today, I purchased the Apple 23" Cinema which looks good except for one problem

which the Apple techs don't seem to be able to solve. The screen resolution is

set at 1920 X 1200 which is too fine and makes text too small. On my display

options the next choice is 1024 X 768 which is too big and pixelates. There's

supposed to be an intermediate choice but it doesn't show up on my system. Any

help or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

ML

Sorry, but it is pretty impossible to answer your question without knowing a few more things like, which Mac are you

connecting it to, which OS, etc.

If you can't read text, a better option may be to change the display settings of whatever application you are using. For

example, in the Finder you can go to the View menu and select Show View Options - and here you can change the font size

used for folder names and so forth.

Similarly, in many other application (e.g. - MS Office, etc.) you can set a percentage value to determine how thing are

displayed.

Good luck,

Dan

(If you have an Apple Store nearby, it might be worth a visit to have them show you how to make these simple changes.)

You really want to leave the display in its native resolution otherwise things generally look terrible. I am not sure if you can use large icons and larger text, but changing the resolution on a LCD is just a bad idea.

If it is too small and the other options don't work, look for a screen that is physically larger with the same pixel count.

The 72 number is printers points; it goes back before Ben Frankiln; to the middle ages printing. 72 was the resolution of the first Mac tombstone back in 1983/84. Its a number as a old as dirt; much older than greenhorn Photoshop expert book writers who love to debunk the ancient 72 number. Debunking the 72 number just means folks are ignorant of printing's long centuries old history. Its like saying you are an expert in baseball; but dont know what a ball; bat; or home plate is.

Actually, in this case I believe the default 72ppi came from the early mono-sync monitors which at the time were generally built at or about 72ppi. But Kelly is absolutely right that it was a way of equating monitor (pixels) to print (points). Now with multisync displays it is not unusual to see 108ppi and 116ppi or even higher resolutions. This may be were some of the confusion about screen resolution comes from. To measure the ppi of a particular monitor you could measure the physical screen image area (not including the border) and divide by the current display resolution (which on a Mac is displayed in the "Displays" control panel) and that would yield the approximate resolution (ppi) of your monitor at it's current setting. On a Mac, your video card also effects the possible resolution setting for your monitor, your video card may not support all of the resolutions that your monitor can and vice versa.

Will

Adobe CTI Photoshop

Thanks to all of you for your insights; It appears I didn't provide enough information, basically because I didn't know it. Here's the rest of the story and the solution provided by Apple support. My computer is an old dual processor G4 and the old video card didn't match the new connector. So I attached an adapter provided to me by the dealer and according to the tech, the adapter created an analogue to digital translation problem so that some of the resolution choices didn't appear. I've had a new video card installed and everything is working normally. Also, two additional minor issues needed to be resolved; until the old video card was removed it still tried to make it's presence known and the original, six or seven year old battery was still there and needed to be replaced.