Portrait lens for Pentax ISTDL

ddement1

I know this is an offbeat answer (i.e. it doesn't include purchasing a brand-new autofocus Pentax DA lens.)

But my favourite lens for portraits on my *ist DL is an old Hanimex 135mm/f2.8 in M42 screw mount (with K-mount adapter).

The adapter cost $6, used. The lens I got from my dad. My expectations were low, but this lens delivers lovely images.

At longer focal lengths, the issue of digital vs analog lenses disappears, because the angles of the light rays are considerably straighter. Chromatic aberration is much more likely with an older wide-angle lens.

The 135mm is long enough that manual focusing is not a problem on my *ist DL. (Sometimes on a manual focus 28mm, the ground glass on the DL simply isn't ggood enough to judge critical focus.) Wide open at 135mm, the image snaps into focus quite obviously.

I also don't mind using stop-down metering. I find it makes me more methodical, which is a good thing for portraits.

I haven't used the Pentax options in this focal length (M42 or K-mount.) I understand that the Pentax 135mm/f3.5 is a sharp lens, but I like the speed and bokeh of a 2.8. It also means I can stop down to f4 and get increased resolution without sacrificing shallow DOF.

I'm sorry, but if the IST DL has an image ratio of 1.53, then a 135mm lens would be the equivilent of a 206mm lens. There has been a lot of discussion about portrait lens focal length with the DSLR ratio applied, but since it is actually a crop of the lens focal length, the effect would be the same.

So, the foreshortening effect of a 135mm lens (which is IMHO about as long as you'd wnat a portrait lens) would be the same, but the "telephoto" effect would be 206mm, which may be a bit excessive for composition. I have a "full" face, so I probably wouldn't want someone to use a 135mm lens for a head shot.

70 to 85 mm (full 36x24 frame) may be very good, remember the narrower angle of view.

I've solved it by using a 50mm or 55mm lens on my Pentax DSLR, which produces an angle of view equivilent to 75mm or 80mm full frame, but will be far enough from the subject to minimize foreshortening effects.

By golly, now I'm confused. I'm at any rate always happy when people use the 135mm classic lenses.

David, I think the answer also depends of what you're willing to spend. I'm on a limited budget, so my portrait lens is the FA 50mm f/1.4 (a steal at $199), which on my K10D becomes a 77mm equivalent. If I had a FF camera I would have to spend over $600 to buy the Pentax 77mm Limited!

Depending on the amount of light I have I use anywhere between f/2 and f/4, and using my feet also allows me to control DoF to a degree. I am by no means a professional, but I've taken some portrait shots that I'm very happy with (and a little surprised too) and which have been a success with those portrayed in them.

Like David Scott, I've also used an old K mount 135mm with stop down metering. The only problem with it is that you need to stand quite far away from the subject, so I only use it outside.

Don't forget that FA 50mm/1.7 is as good or better lens as the f/1.4 optically. That half stop is not an issue most of the time in portraiture as the lighting is under photog's control. The f/1.7 version of the 50mm lens is substantially less expensive on the used market and is an awesome performer. I have one and find that I use it as a "normal" as well as portrait lens a lot more than the FA 28mm/2.8 I have, which, BTW, is also outstanding and all the distortion is on the periphery, which is out of the DSLR's crop range. I think no Pentax DSLR owner should be without these two superb manual focus SMC lenses. They simply rock! Just my $0.02.

--

Vladimir<div>00OC7P-41353384.thumb.JPG.bbd84477e24e01f1192327d88277064f.JPG</div>

I really, really, REALLY like my Pentax FA 50mm f1.7 a lot on my *istD. I keep thinking about the 50mm 1.4, but then I look at my pictures and don't feel the need to change. BTW I still really, really, REALLY like my old manual SMC 50mm f1.4 lens when I use it on my trusty old Pentax ME Super. That is a sweet little combination!<div>00OCGq-41356984.jpg.fca77a865af0fb5eb682de5846a3799b.jpg</div>

Of course, an important distinction between the FA50 f/1.4 and f/1.7 is that the f/1.4 is still for sale new, and the f/1.7 is not. If you already have the f/1.7 version, I wouldn't covet the f/1.4.

The FA50 (1.7 or 1.4), DA70 f/2.4, and FA77 f/1.8 are all excellent choices for portraits on the current APS-C digital bodies.

I second what Andrew says, by all means, as well as others regarding the 50mm f1.4 and 1.7. I will add that the 43mm f/1.9 Limited also does quite well for portraits, and with its added field of view is versatile in other applications too. Its small size is great on a compact camera for general use.

• 9 months later...

Any clues as to how i get a Pentax 135mm lens to actually work on my istD?- ( it was my fave film lens- ) the lens doesnt have an A engraved on the

casing- its from my old film SLR and has been languishing in a box- All my DSLR lens are just that - but i do have a few old K mount lenses that i

would like to press into service- The 135 mounts OK and shows the number of shots left on the card within the view but resists all attempts to fire off a

shot- Am i right in assuming that as it is not an A rated lens, that it will only fire off on my film SLR- - thanks for any tips-

• 3 months later...
<p>In answer to the 135mm and IST D I have an IST DL and in order to use lens without the A setting you have to go into the custon settings in menu then go to Using aperture ring (which is default set to 1) and change to 2 with is allow. Hope this helps.</p>