Flat panel HDTV connected to computer to show photos

I like to view my digital photos, taken with a 10 Mpixel camera in JPEG format,

on the 42" screen of my 1080p HDTV. The TV has HDMI ports.

Does anyone have experience in doing this? My computer has a DVI card slot. If

I buy a DVI to HDMI converter and connect the computer via HDMI cable with the

TV, would that do the trick?

On my TV (a sony) it does not recommend hooking it up that way. My tv has a PC input (15 pin VGA input) so I just bought an extension for a VGA cord and hooked it up as a second (cloned from the first) monitor. Works best if you have a widescreen monitor to match the aspect ratio of the TV.

my mac has a mini DVI port. My Sony LCD has a VGA connector on the back. I bought a $10 apple DVI-VGA connector. My mac auto detects the Sony TV and selects the right resolution. I now have a 40" monitor for my laptop for $10.

The DVI to HDMI (or any other convertor) will output a 16:10 resolution to your TV, cropping off the top and bottom of your image on the 16:9 TV. Just something to consider.

Unless of course, you can find custom drivers that will allows you to output odd resolutions. Also helps if you have a "dot by dot" option like there is on a Sharp Aquos. (Most displays crop few pixels off the side so you don't see the full image.)

My Sony TV has both VGA and HDMI inputs. For VGA the max input is 1280x1024 while the HDMI will take 1920x1080i. I've used a DVI->HDMI cable but the VGA looks better. Newer Sonys will accept 1920x1080p through the VGA port. Considering that a DVI->HDMI cable is about $8 just buy one and try it out. This was all from my Macbook.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Colin- You might want to explore the new HP Pavilion Elite m9100z desktop PC. It accepts an optional PCI TV tuner card and an optional 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, supporting 1080p output via HDMI port. The card also has a TV-out port. I don't know about a 1080p compatible PC monitor, though.

Follow-up on Les Sarile's suggestion to use a Sony PS3 to view JPEG still photos on an HDTV at 1080p resolution. Sorry it took a while to get back; but I was out of the country for a while.

I got myself a PS3-80GB from Circuit City and tried it out, not before having had to struggle with what I would call the worst instruction manual I have ever read. I inserted an SD memory card with JPEG still photos and played a DVD+R with the same photos and got them displayed at up to 1080i on my Sharp Aquos LC HDTV. However,whenever I tried to show them at 1080p, I got the ominous message " An incompatible signal has been received". Fortunately, I could return the PS3 to the store.

When you say you viewed "full res scans (5500x3600 pixels)", what actually was your source material? And how can you be sure that you displayed the scans at 1080p rather than 1080i?

Are there others out there that have been successful in using a PS3 to display still photos on an HDTV at 1080p?? I would love to hear about it!