Advice on Palm Springs/San Diego

michaelc

My wife and I will be going to Palm Springs the 31st of January for a week then

we will spend a week in Escandedo (SP). Any advice of some good spots to get

some pics. I would like to get some desert shots etc. We will probably be

going to the zoo, sea world etc. while near San Diego. Any good spots around

Palm Springs/Desert?

In the Palm Springs area, it's easy to get to Joshua Tree. It depends on weather but taking the Tramway up Mt. San Jacinto might be of interest. It climbs to the 8000 ft level if I recall correctly - passing through several climatic zones as it climbs up along the granite cliffs.

The Living Desert Museum is worth considering:

http://www.livingdesert.org/default.asp

The Wild Animal Park is just outside of Escondido. In San Diego, Balboa Park has the Zoo and a number of museums and gardens, Coronado has the Hotel Del Coronado and cross harbor views back to downtown San Diego. Cabrillo Monument on Point Loma has great vistas and the whales may still be migrating.

The Wild Animal Park has photo safaris. I thought they were a bit pricey but they get you up close and personal with the animals. Craig is right about Joshua Tree NP being a good spot. If I recall, HiWay 74 from Aguanga to Palm Springs is a reasonably scenic drive.

Whilst not on the most direct route between Palm Springs and San Diego, you could visit Anza Borrego Desert State Park by driving down the 86 and west on the S22. Theres a good "badlands" view from the end of the sand wash at Fonts Point in particular. Watch out for the cholla cacti.

Closer to SD you'll pass close to Julian which is quite an attractive town in a vaguely "old west" style. I imagine you'll see quite a bit of fire damage after last fall's wildfires.

Excellent comment David! I was just there this weekend for the opening of the new exhibit. They are celebrating their 25th anniversary right now and they pulled out the absolute best from their collection.

The exhibit is structured around John Szarkowski's (MoMA) 1966 book, "The Photographer's Eye" (now in reprint).

If you are anywhere near San Diego, you need to come see this exhibit!

Truth be told, I can't think of much in Escondido itself that is worth photographing. I would try the Grape Day Park/City Hall/California Center for the Arts area along Valley Pkwy between Broadway and Escondido Blvd. If you're planning to go to the zoo and Sea World I would think about shooting in Balboa Park, the Gaslamp Quarter, and along the Embarcadero.

• 2 weeks later...