newbie need help - Canon 20D inexpensive lens question?

anderyas_putranto

Personally never did like the sigma 18 50 2.8, Used Tamron 17 50 for a few weddings and it works well on 20d. The Sigma 24 70 2.8 is ok but a lil soft wide open, also can get tight for group and reception shots, If beginning and Not the official photog then you`ll possibly be shooting from behind them. so the longer FL may suit better. one body and one lens is no way to shoot a wedding tho.

The Sigma 18-50 worked well for me with Canon. I've since upgraded, but its a nice lens. If

you're looking for a 24-70 range, the Tamron 28-75 is usually considered the better of the

third party lenses. On a crop camera, though, that's not a very wide lens.

Personally I think the 18-50 range is better for a 20d, but you couldn't use it if you ever

upgraded to full frame.

anderyas - there aren't many good inexpensive lenses. that's the reason why the top of the line canon lenses still sell well!

that said, it is my guess that the two sigmas should have similar optical quality - I haven't tried them unfortunately.

remember to have a second/backup body when you shoot your first wedding :-)

>>> which one you think is better lens? sigma 24-70/f2.8 or sigma 18-50/f2.8 <<<

On a 20D the 18 to 50 would be a more useful FL range for Weddings.

I would choose neither lens as my zoom, however, the EF-S 17 to 55F2.8 IS would be my choice, if only using a 20D.

However, if price is prohibitive for the above zoom, then the EF35mmF2 and EF50mm F1.8MkII would be a better purchase, IMO.

Also if this is the ONLY lens you are considering to have, then you need at least a fast, wide prime (Sigma 30mm for example) to accompany it, or better, the low cost two prime set I mentioned.

WW