Firmware questions

samius

Lindy made the comment weeks ago that the K10 is out of production, but I don't know

that it is true. As long as it is a current model, as it is being promoted today, firmware

updates may be possible.

That said, I wouldn't expect it. Firmware updates are typically bug fixes. I'm sure that the

functions that we gained with our FW updates were planned features all along. There were

bugs in the FW code and rather than hold production because of a few minor features, the

affected features were simply disabled. The camera hit the streets and the programmers

worked on the code for those features, as well any minor bugs that were found after

release. When they got enough code fixed to make it worth while, they'd release a new

version.

When was the last time Microsoft released a service pack for Windows 98?

Well... it would really be nice if Pentax would add some of the firmware-only improvements to the K10D. Things like folder renaming, autofocus fine-tuning for individual lenses, etc.

But that wouldn't help them sell new cameras, so probably not gonna happen.

Maybe we'll get community-improved hacked firmware, sort of like what CHDK does for the Canon DIGIC cameras. I've taken a look at the K10D firmware binaries with a hex editor, and they seem like ARM processor code... but haven't had time to really go through them thoroughly.

I agree.

The AF fix was there till they removed it. Now it's back on the K20D.

And the AF button for the grip could be a firmware upgrade.

Actually, since all my lenses seem to focus well, I don't care about focus fix (although wouldn't be upset if it was added), but I really am jonesing for a AF button.

How simple an upgrade but I'm doubtful it will ever happen.

Dan,

As I noted, not a priority, but I'd not be mad at you if you could do it, and not destroy my camera!!!

I figure having that function is only a good thing. Especially as I add other lenses from time to time.

Any chance of remapping a grip button for AF...any button I can reach while pressing the shutter is A-OK.

Well, I'm more at the "I think it can be done" point, or the "I think I know how to do it" point... rather than actually being able to do this ASAP.

I'll definitely look into it when I have a good weekend to kill, or if something pressing comes up like my new lens back-focuses :-P

Not sure if this should get posted here, but since we are on the subject of firmware- last night I downloaded PhotoME as I was curious to see what info could be found on my particular K10D as far as shutter actuations and whatnot.

I had updated my firmware to 1.3 a few days after getting my camera, (confirmed by the camera itself) but PhotoME is still showing it as 1.0

Are you able to see obvious differences in the hex editor between the 2 versions? (assuming you had a chance at looking at both versions?) Just wondering whats going on....

jerry

Yes, the two firmware versions differ significantly. It's a little hard to pin down the overlaps precisely without a pretty good idea of what some of the data represents, since a lot of the differences are likely just differences in offsets to other locations in memory.

I gotta take a good look at the memory maps that Kevin and others have been working on.

It's probably a firmware issue. Keep in mind the D80 has a ISO3200 setting, and it's the same sensor. I'm doubtful 6400 would be even remotely usable as no camera with this sensor had that option.

However, 3200 might be good in a pinch.

Problem is, if they put it on there and it's awful it gets reviewed as such. If they leave it off, not many people notice since 3200 had been considered extended ISO on the previous models anyway.