New Forum idea? what do you think?

There may already be a forum like this, if so please direct me to it.

When I log onto this site the first thing I do is look at the new photo's

uploaded, Theres always some there that just amaze me!

Being realitvly new to the Digital Format and learning digital Darkroom

technics, It would be a huge help to me if some of the members was to post a

original photo and finished photo with a short disciption of what they did to

get the great images I see.

Would be a great learning tool for me.

Thanks

That's actually a great idea, Mark. I'm afraid that a lot of people will be hesitant to show how heavily they rely on post production work to arrive at their finished pieces, though, as if that matters (when the finished work is good).

<br><br>

A variation on this would be a casual, available-light shot of a set or subject, followed by what it looks like once carefully lit by someone who knows that they're doing. The lighting forum does have some themes and tutorials archived along those lines.

<br><br>

Here is a before and after of a little city/landscape shot from Marostica, in Italy. This is a reminder of why I shoot in RAW format: there is so much more to the capture that can be teased out and played with, in terms of tone and hue. I rotated, cropped, and did some tone/color-temp adjustments in Capture NX, and then cleaned up that foreground clutter using the editing tools in Corel's X3 package. Photoshop would have been as or more effective in that role, but you'd never know.

<br><br>

You can get a better look at the final version of this little exercise in theatrical set dressing <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/6703905&size=lg"><b>right here</b></a>.<div>00O5Tt-41126384.jpg.ae372395e24a8fd91b4da9b4664ba77d.jpg</div>

Hello Mark:

What a Great Idea! A Super learning tool and fun at the same time.

As someone struggling up the slope of the photography learning curve, I would certainly participate in something like that.

Hello Matt:

I Love the tones in that piazza photo!

Cheers! Jay

why don't we call the forum mark's park?

i like the idea of this forum as well. i have been on this site for over a year now and almost 80% of the photography knowledge i have acquired have been through this site. much of that was initially to look at the pictures and read the technical details section. so many photographers don't provide technical details at all probably due to workflow issues.

good call mark.

what would be left for exploration and imagination, I dont like the idea myself, so I would not visit the site, but I'd expect many many people who want a quick lesson, and who do not want to invest their own time in developing the skills, would love the idea of that kind of site.

I never have asked myself how an IMAGE was created, instead, I just create my own, I love a great image, but I sure would not ask the artists how to copy it. . . .

why not just call it a before and after forum, and people who don't mind sharing their

techniques can post there... although folks who are secretive of their techniques are a little

naive to think that we can't figure out how they did it. I used to be "above" digital

manipulation but i embrace it now (despite the fact that my wife reminds me weekly about

how against it i used to be). I don't mind sharing my techniques, as limited as they are.

super idea!

One of the problems I see here is that there's a very blurry line between "digital manipulations" that amount to dodging, burning, and contrast tweeking and manipulations that are more akin to synthesizing some or most of an image (see the removed metal furniture in the lower right of my sample, above). And some of this post-work is really more of a graphic design issue - where images are modified to serve a very specific purpose or to complement other material. This is a pretty broad topic, and risks becoming devoted to red-eye repairs, or "removing my mother-in-law from the cool picture of my wife on my motorcycle."

<br><br>

I could be wrong, but I think that MOST people, here, are going to be interested in the more subtle stuff that goes the farthest towards that impressionistic goal of getting the final image to represent their original vision or notion when they took the shot.

<br><br>

I guess what I'm saying here is that Mark's idea is great... but it may be even better served by breaking it down into some sub-sets of interest/activity. You know, the "From Drab to Dynamic" section, the "Should Have Used A Lint Roller" section, the "Re-Writing History" section, and the "Youth Is Wasted On The Young" section. But then, since I'm the only one that's stepped into the quicksand so far, I could be completely off on this topic! I like Roger's's idea best, I guess: if we can have and thrive on the concept of Words/No-Words posts, then Before/After is a great start.

Matt, The photo's you posted are what I am talking about. I can look at the before and see a good shot that you turned into a great shot with subtle changes. and it gives me more to think about what I can do with my own, not to copy what you did but you opened up my "eye" more to what I can do.

And if you dont want to give up any secrets, thats fine, I will be more than appreciative of anything you contribute.

And if there is a forum, Please dont name it after me! name it something that explains what its all about.

Thanks for all the responses, Im happy many of you like the idea.

Such a forum would not interest anyone except the people initiating the threads. What I suggest is that if you discover an interesting technique, you start a thread here with a very descriptive title such as "How to ..." and post screenshots of all the steps you took. Just showing the before and after is of little use to someone trying to understand how to get there. Goal-oriented threads have more lasting value, and that's what we try to promote here, not friendly chat that is going to be stale in a week.

IF you insist though, I can forward you to retouchpro.com where they exclusively do this sort of thing. Maybe you can do your exhibiting there and ask your questions here.

Emre, Quote

What I suggest is that if you discover an interesting technique, you start a thread here with a very descriptive title such as "How to ..." and post screenshots of all the steps you took.

Mark, Quote

It would be a huge help to me if some of the members was to post a original photo and finished photo with a short disciption of what they did to get the great images I see. Would be a great learning tool for me. Thanks

I agree with both of you and thought this is what was originally requested, except I think I understand that you want it to happen at this forum in the way both of you stated.

The posting and discussion of before/after shots is one reason I have stayed with the DPR Retouching forum for over 5 years. While I have nothing but high respect for Emre and his work, I have to disagree when he says, "Such a forum would not interest anyone except the people initiating the threads."<p>

When I first started digital, I searched high and low for this type of information. It was non-existent. It's vital for any photographer who wants to move beyond the "adjust color balance/levels/sharpen/done" workflow that seems to satisfy many. While there's nothing wrong with that, many of us want to pursue a more artistic approach.<p>

The advantage of a before/after showcase as opposed to a "post something you like and we'll tell you how it's done" format is that sometimes your creativity will be sparked by seeing a technique someone else has used. Or perhaps they have refined a technique you've been interested in learning more about. This is not to say you'll necessarily copy it...sometimes it will be a springboard to developing your own style. There's a reason artist's like to go to museums and galleries. They are feeding their imagination and creativity.<p>

Here's a gallery I started 4 years ago to give you an idea:<p>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/pam_r/transformations">Transformations</a><p>

Here's the link to the DPR Retouching forum. All manner of how-to and constructive criticism available 24/7 :-)<p>

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1006">DPR Retouching forum</a>