nikon d80 lens

sol_idasio

hi sol,

i have the same combo (d80/12-24/28-75):)

the tokina is a sweet lens.

the 28-75 is way better than the 18-70. sharper, faster, etc. no real comparison there, except the 18-70 has marginally faster AF, but not so much you'd notice.

other options would be the sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, the nikon 28-70 2.8, the nikon 35-70 2.8 and the nikon 24-70 2.8. IMO the tamron gives you the most bang for the buck. the 35-70 has its fans, but the 25-34 range is a crucial one, so that might be too much of a gap. also the 35-70 is a push-pull zoom.

I have the Tokina and the Tamron lenses you mention and use them with my D80. I love the Tamron. The Tokina seemed very soft to me and had a lot of CA. I sent it back to Tokina, and it was just returned to me. Initial shots don't look a whole lot better than before I sent it in, on the edges, though the center seems sharper. Still, the wide end is very cool.

I have the 18-200 but don't recommend it, if you plan to get these other lenses. At some point you may want to add a tele. I don't see why you'd need the 18-70 if you get the Tokina and Tamron.

What peter said is true, i would have to carry the 12-24mm and the 28-75mm all the time. i don't have second thoughts on the tokina 12-24mm because it`s the wide angle i need for the price i can pay. But i thought about the tamron 17-50mm (as a single lens when i'm not using the 12-24mm) instead of the 28-75mm....i would be missing a telephoto though and thats what i`ll have to decide!

thanks again.