Pro vs Super

andrew_littleford

Andrew I did a quick down and dirty look at the two and I don't see much difference except maybe there's some internal stuff. Here's a link for manual downloads. Essentially they have the same camera features, flash synch, shutter speeds etc; There were updates to the accessories. Prism, motor drive and the relation of the motor drive to using leaf shuttered lenses. I also believe from what I remember reading was that the Pro model was a hardier camera after there being some complaints about the Super. I own the Super myself and am happy. If you can find a deal go with the newer body, otherwise the Super ain't bad for the prices and if in good condition.

I've had a 645Super body apart for repair, and can vouch that the internal build quality is generally very good. However, there are some stupid little ommissions, like a lack of locking material (glue) on some of the screws and springs. This means that some vital components tend to come undone with long use, which is what had happened to the shutter release mechanism of my Super, and why I had to delve into it.

Now this may, or may not, have been addressed on the Pro, but reports suggest that the Pro bodies are generally more reliable. This might just be down to the fact that they haven't been around as long. The Pro magazines are better designed at least, and still fit to the Super body.

Anyway, I bought two Super bodies and several magazines for about the same price asked for one Pro body, so I can't complain. It means that I always have a spare body "just in case".

If you are using the power winder, the Pro & Pro TL might hold up a little better over the long haul, as the gears were supposedly beafed up to better withstand sustained motor drive use. The Super is also old enough to make the Pro a better choice as far as reliability is concerned.