Bags for MF (Domke in particular)

johan_de_groote

I'm looking for a bag to put my gear in during travel. Searched the forum a bit

and Domke pops up regulary so I went and took a look at their site. I specially

like the inserts. But its was also a dissapointment as it is very sparse on

information. So I would like to ask a few questions about those bags here.

There isn't any shop stocking those around so I would have to buy over the net.

First I want a bag to put in the following: a Kiev60 with prism, 50mm, 80mm,

120mm, spare body (without prism) and a 300D + 17-70. If possible space for

another lens (45mm psc). The 300D does not have to be stored with the lens on

it. No flash but film and oher small stuff. I do not want a backpack.

1: I get the impression that the Domke bags are rather "floppy". Is it possible

to open them when they are on your shoulder and do they stay more or less open

when you do? Or is it more like a sports bag? I compare this to my Lowepro I

have now, it stays more or less open so you can put a lens back with only 1

hand.

2: how big are those inserts? There are "low", "medium" and "large" inserts,

but never is it written how large they are. Can you put 2 "low" inserts on top

of each other in a bag? What is the cross section of a pocket of such a 2x2

insert? Do they stay in place in the bag (like velcro to the side wall) or do

they sit loose in the bag?

In case those bags are too soft, what else is there around that would qualify?

I found the Lowepro Commercial AW or the larger Stealth Reporter. But that

insert system of Domke looks so practical.

I've used them in the field for years -- for every format. I carry my camera gear in a

better-padded bag(s) for safety, but when running around in the field for real, it's Domke.

YEs, floppy, and as out of the way of the shoot as possible. I have some bags over 20 years

old carrying heavy video batteries and stuff too ... not a tear anywhere despite much

banging around and disrespect.

I have about six J3 bags, for different formats carried in field. Filled, these are the limit of

weight I am personally willing to carry on my shoulder in the field. The "field" is climbing

little hills for landscape, or walking down Las Vegas Blvd.

A couple J3s are empty and tossed on top of large Tenba, Lowepro and other bags when

transported in a car. In the field I transfer the needed gear to the Domke and I'm off. All

batteries for all formats are in the same spot, film or flash cards in the same spot, cleaning

cloth and bulb blower in same spot, filters/extra lens in same spot, etc. Redundancy of

placement as well as bag makes for quick action in the field. I always know where

everything is.

I'ts not a stacking bag, it's to grab and run. Think war correspondant!

Johan,

I know you don't want a backpack but i recently changed my old small backpak with a lowepro Minitrekker AW and it carries the following items:

KIev 6C, CZJ 180, czj 50, volna 80, F80 with 50mm, SB800, SB28 and a 28-200 tamron and some bit's and pieces like batteries for the mb15/f80 and the flashes and chargers and film so for me this is about the most complete set that I still can carry.

Incidently this bag is on sale for the moment at www.topfoto.de for 89? they are in Duren which is not too far from the Belgian border.

I payed mine 150? in Brussels just before christmas :-(

Erwin

While some of the insert descriptions on the Domke site (part of Tiffen) only have adjectives (like "short") most seem to have dimensions in in inches. If you don't find the information there, go to the B&H web site and look through the insert descriptions. You have to click on each one and look at the specifications.

I don't find Domke bags too "floppy" just floppy enough that they shape themselves a bit to my body, so that they are very comfortable. It is possible to take things out and put them in with one hand, and it is easy after you've done it many times. With the bag on your shoulder, you can shove the top cover out of the way next to your body, so you can have a fully open bag.

I have the F-4AF and the J1. The J1 is the bigger of the two. Both of my bags are designed to carry lenses vertically, with one or two relatively flat bodies carried by having them attached to the ends of the lenses. I don't know whether three bodies, including the big Kievs, will fit. I carry 35mm or Nikon digital, and never more than two bodies and five lenses in the J1. Domke used to make a larger bag (the double AF, I think) that I don't see listed currently.

It's difficult to buy bags without trying them out. Whatever you buy, make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit. It's like ordering clothing.

I have two of the smallest Domke bag, the F-5XB or something like that; they're a little floppy, but not too bad, and you can easily add or remove stuff one-handed provided the flap is already open; the velcro is *really* aggressive. I believe people have removed some of the velcro, or added gaffers tape to part of it to make it more manageable.

Believe it or not, I've found one of the best places to get dimensions and similar information on Domke stuff to be, um, eBay. For some of their products, listings there, where the seller has measured the item, is seemingly the *only* place with that information online. Sad, but true...

Not to sound stupid, but are you *really* sure you want to carry all that in one bag, on your shoulder? As a Kiev shooter myself, I know roughly how much weight - and volume - you're looking at there, and it's way, *way* more than I'd want over one shoulder. In your shoes, I'd either go for a backpack, or split it between two bags, one over each shoulder. Or cut back on how much I wanted to carry. :) One Kiev body with prism and two lenses is as much as - if not slightly more than - I'd want in one bag; doubling that and adding the 300D as well would quickly leave me with a permanent hunch.

"I'ts not a stacking bag, it's to grab and run."

It won't be for stacking, but it would be nice if I could put everything in those inserts, put those in the closet and just load the bag with whatever I think I need when I go out.

I just feel a bit less secure about "I carry my camera gear in a better-padded bag(s) for safety...". This will be to lug around in car boot, tram, bus, on foot etc.

"Not to sound stupid, but are you *really* sure you want to carry all that in one bag, on your shoulder?"

Well, not sure about "all that", but very sure about "on my shoulder". I tried a Lowepro Slingshot but that isn't for me. My camera goes in and out of the bag all the time. And without zoom I think I'll plunge even more in the bag to swap lenses. Although that might be part of a learning curve. The "all that" issue is for another post.

I'll check the mentioned sites.

I used a Domke F2 bag as my primary for 8 years or so. I used it walking around in the field as well as travel in cars, trains and planes. (Planes are really no problem as long as you just stick it in the overhead compartment)

I typically carried a Hasselblad 500c/m with A12+80mm (C with hood, CF no hood), 250CF, 150CF, 50CF, 40CF (when needed) Pentax Digital Spot Meter, >=2 propacks of 120, cable release/level/filter paper etc, 3 Bay60 filters and an extra back in the side pocket in a padded wrap.

All of this was able to be carried without over-stuffing the bag - this was obviously at (about) capacity but worked out perfectly well and safely - none of my gear was ever damaged or abused at all.

Over time i've taken to using a LowePro PhotoTrekker (1 size down from the largest) it holds a little more gear and definitely protects it more but is more difficult to work out of than the Domke.

Anyway - you can definitely make it work with a Domke. I throw mine in the trunk or suitcase and pack it up with what i need now when i'm at my location..

-john

www.ebokeh.com

I have 3 domkes. In the J2 I have a pentax 67 body with a lens on it and 4 more lenses

with room for meter and lots of film and flash and bottle of water and I still haven't gotten

to the back pouch yet. It is substantial, and carrying all that gear around is heavy enough

to give serious back strain. I love it.

You will have too much weight to go far with a shoulder bag. Because it swings and is off to one side, it is difficult to climb or descent a steep grade with a shoulder bag, or to get through narrow passageways. I have a Magnum, which would hold your gear even with the standard inserts. You would be approaching 30 pounds, which is a killer on one shoulder.

Do what you will, but I've long since collected my MF gear (Hasselblad) into a LowePro Phototrekker backpack. I can carry it on one shoulder just as well as a shoulder bag. When the going gets rough I move it to my back and add the sternum strap, then the belt, as needed.

<p>Buy a Domke F-1x + an <a href="

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=41&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=">optechusa.com large S.O.S. bag strap</a>. It's a strechy neoprene strap that has a non-skid coating that really works magic on your shoulder.

<p>It comes with the regular (tall?) 4 compartment insert. I can fit a Canon 85 f/1.2 in one compartment, max...approx 85mm? (see canon's site for correct diameter).

<p>I would't stack the inserts. No padding on the bottom. They attach with velco to the bags' sides. Patented, actually (the construction, not the velco).

<p>Domke's are floppy, in a good sense. The lid can be folded all the way over backward to get out of your way. If you like canvas, like me, but want more protection for travel, look at the $$ billinghams.