100-400L IS repair

lamoine_einspahr

Help from the forum on these questions would be appreciated.

I have a 100-400L IS that will no longer reach sharp focus. I have a Rebel, XTi,

and an EOS 3 and none of the three will find a sharp focus with the 100-400. It

started failing during the last 8 months of 2007. Before then it was a fantastic

lens and produce terrific images. It produced razor sharp images with super

contrast. That is nearly all gone now. After I first noticed the problem, it

became worse at an increasing speed.

I have numerous image examples, but would be a waste of time as the problem is

so obvious I can tell that on my own.

The focus seems to be worse the longer the shot from the camera.

It is NOT a front or back focus problem.

It may have been used for 2500 to 3000 images.

It has NEVER been dropped or treated roughly. The interior is clean and the

glass clear.

I need to send it to Canon for repair.

I live in Nebraska.

I consider myself to be an advanced amateur.

Can anyone tell me of the BEST Canon service center for L lenses, and the

address to send it to as well as any experience you may have with lens

repair-adjustment. A phone number would be nice as well if possible.

Any help would appreciated. I want to get it sent in and hope to get it back

before the eclipse....if possible. But I really just want my lens back like it

was a year or so ago.

I've only used the Canon NJ facility, so I cannot comment on the California facility, or on lens repairs. The NJ facility lost my camera for a few days due to a paperwork SNAFU, but otherwise everything went very well. They fixed my camera, and checked my lens, which were dropped together, and I was mostly happy with the experience, other than the fact that they almost sent my camera home to somebody else...

The contact information for both locations is on Canon's website, including the required paperwork...

NJ: 732-521-7007

CA: 949-753-4200

Can you get sharp images when you focus manually? Have you recently added a skylight or polarizing filter? Try putting it on a solid tripod using the center focus point. Take shots using manual and auto focus to see if there's a problem with the autofocus or the lens itself. If nothing else, that will help you describe the problem to the repair facility.

Thanks guys, for the rapid response. I had been in contact with Canon on the Canon Consumer (lenses) page. They sent a nice reply with addresses and phone numbers. My question to you learned people was for a personal experience on THIS side of the corporate wall for which of the two provides a better returned product. I have tried cleaning the contacts. I also downloaded and installed the 1.1.1 version firmware in the XTi in case of a hidden problem. Nothing. Both Rebels have mirror eyepieces and too small eyepiece views for my old eyesight to manually focus. But, that is why I abandoned my pair of A1's. I have a angle finder C, but find it too clunky for practical use on the Rebel viewfinders. The images that are now blurred are out of focus and are not camera movement one way or another. Many images do not show a point of focus in front of or behind the subject. I find that amazing. I have a tripod and use it on fixed objects like the moon, Andromeda, and a few landscape images. I have been SO PROUD of the efficiency of the IS system in that 100-400 lens. So I usually don't set up the Manfrotto for anything more than 1/25 second, even at 400mm. I miss a few, but not many. I will wait another day for a personal experience and then will make a choice and send it in for a great repair-adjustment....I hope.

I sent both my 100-400 and 16-35 along with my 20D to the NJ center for focus issues. When I got them back, I could not believe that my equipment could auto focus as well as it did. It was simply amazing. In my case, both lenses were back focusing and the adjustments made all the difference in the world.

I would not hesitate to send it in to the NJ center.

my 100-400 lens mount was coming loose(unacceptable play, beyond the normal small amount)--upon my return from Ecuador--where it functioned fine,( but eventually the contacts were going to be a problem) I called Canon customer service, was given instructions on where to send it(NJ) and did so--shortly thereafter, I received a repair order authorization requesting 165$ or so for the repair, but the lens was wel l within warranty--I called the customer service rep I'd spoken to(the NJ repair facility was closed at the hour I read the email) and he promised to look into it.Next day I received an email from NJ saying the camera was being fixed(new lens mount)at no charge. It came via overnight delivery within 3 days--total turnaround time perhaps 8 days--and everytthing was fine. You can look at my 100-400 shots pre and post repair at flickr --

joel rosenthal ---

the Ecuador photos are pre repair- the other sets(okeeheelee and fakahatchee are post repair) judge the sharpness for yourself..I have no complaints about the service or the fix

At nearly ten years old, this lens doesn't have the latest IS version - newer ones will detect a tripod and will deactivate. This lens used on a rock solid tripod must have the IS turned off.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/204-canon-ef-100-400mm-f45-56-usm-l-is-test-report--review

Is there any chance that this could account for the problem?

Just a note; Luckily I live only about 25 minutes from the Irvine facility. I have been down there for several different issues and been more than satisfied each time. Interestingly, I just went down there today to drop off my 100-400. The problem; bits of thin, black material about 1/8th inch wide were coming out where the sleeve slides upon the main housing. They had a tech look at it and reported that alcohol causes this material to decompose... I never use fluids on my lens BUT they decided that one of their techs might have done it when I had the lens cleaned after a dusty trip to Africa. SO, even though the warranty was out they are replacing the whole sleeve.. free. Gotta love those Canon folks!