I am a wedding photographer but always wanted to learn how to do studio

portraits. I found a place near me that allows you to rent space for $14 and

hour plus the cost of paper that you damage. They charge $20 an hour for a

private lesson. So yesterday I took one lesson then I rented the space for an

hour to play. I had a friend model for me. I did some post production on these

photos but only a high key effect and some focus. But nothing was done to

adjust lighting. So please critique lighting and composition. It was my first

crack at it.

They look pretty good. I would, however, consider a change on the 3rd shot. Perhaps you

could pull the light a bit forward to eliminate the deep shadow in her eye socket on the key

light side. You may even throw a bit of light into the shadow side eye socket if you do that -

and still be able to keep the split light.

In the first photo you cut off part of the right arm, but left an excessive amount of black on the left side of the photo. Good to leave room on that side, as that is where her gaze takes you, but not that much. I don't mind having the hair in front of the eye, except all you see is the white of the eye...perhaps a little re-arranging to see some of the pupil and, again, that gaze. Your whites are a little blown, and no definition in the arm.

In the second you are using basically a vertical pose, but a horizontal format. I think it would be stronger as a vertical. The shadow on the left eye is a little distracting.

In the third photo, you need to smooth the hair on her right. Little things like that can make or break a photo. It is kind of a moody pose, and I like what you were trying to do, but the one eye you can see is so centered in the photo it gives it a static look.

Distracting details can make or break any photograph, but I think this is more the case with portraits...especially in a studio where you are supposed to be in control of everything.

For the first time, not bad. Keep at it....no one ever said studio portraits were easy........

Good first try. Is it fashion or portrait? I?m not finding anything out about her. Lighting I

?d say it?s pretty good, but composition is a bit borring (though sorry Bill but you?s also

looks like a passport picture!)

Have you heard of a company called Venture? Look them up. They may go a bit

photoshop happy at times but they understand portraits.

As Bill said, it ain?t easy. Keep it up :-)

I?ve re cropped that image, see what you think. (though I can?t delete her hand. I would

of moved it in real life to get her to look more natural)<div>00OErm-41415884.jpeg.cee469c50bfdab363f13b09796d6ffc6.jpeg</div>

• 3 weeks later...