However, being that this is something new to me I've come across quite an

obstacle that I can't seem to pass.

I can get some beautiful shots of the stars and the clouds in the sky. However,

when I try to take photos of the moon, it becomes a big, white glaring ball. In

a particular photo I've perfected getting some beautiful detail on the side of

the moon, but on the other side where the light is actually reflecting, is that

same problem that I've encountered in almost all of my night shots. This

includes shots I've taken late at night downtown where the same glaring, bright

ball occurs on most tall-standing light posts and other larger sources of light.

What could I be doing wrong? Or what am I missing?

Anything will help, thank you!

Malissa, you will need to set you camera on manual because the camera light meter is fooled by the dark sky - the moon is basically a sunlit object. I shot this photo of the moon a few days ago (http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/6856527-lg.jpg) - 1/250 second, f/11, ISO 200.

Another "rule" is 1 over the focal length at f/16. Try several different exposures/f-stops (i.e. bracket the shot). The phase of the moon will have an impact on the camera settings (full moon is reflecting more light than a quarter moon). Experiment and have fun.

John

John basically got it right except the actual formula for a sunlit object is a shutter speed of

1/ISO at f/16. Thus if you are using an ISO of 100, it would be 1/100 sec at f/16. Be

mindful that with a long telephoto, too slow of a shutter speed can show the moon's

motion through the sky - resulting in a blurry image. For a 1000 mmm lens, this can be as

short as 1/2 sec.

I found an interesting web site with lots of information about photographing the moon. It

is worth a look as a starting point for moon photos.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/howtophoto/index.htm

Peter

Yeah, like those guys said. Some call it the 'Moony f11 rule', analagous to the classical sunny f16 rule. But the big problem you'll have is the fact that if you expose for the moon, your cool stars and foreground will be underexposed. If the foreground you want is close, you could use flash to bring it into balance. But if you want stars or more distant foreground to expose properly, you'll have to use a double exposure technique and combine photos later in photoshop.<div>00O9T5-41259384.jpg.918dae2add4c76cff4c625c6c8ab8453.jpg</div>

No one answered the light post issues. Light posts are going to be a problem with city

scenes; especially if they are close to you and the ambient light of the city scape is much

darker. This will not stop the problem, but maybe you can change the issue a bit. You can

find those filters that make bright spots turn more into a starry effect. They should not affect

the general cityscape. While the light posts will still be bright, they may be more appealing

than simple burned out holes.

Troup

• 2 months later...
The moon is a sunlight grey rock, the real issue is that it is really small (1/2 degree). I used a telescope which acts like a 1900mm lens. Depth of field is not an issue as the moon is at infinity, no matter how long your lens is. The best time to shoot is about the first quarter moon, you get some nice definition on the lunar terminator.